• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 SEFI mis-firing - help

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I think my motor is mis-firing. Last time I drove her, it sounded a little funny. I am going to pull her into the garage and turn the lights out and watch for a short to the motor, and then pull a few plugs, but how can I know for certain it is or isn't mis firing? I understand that it could also be the injectors, is there a way to test those? I don't have a Check Engine light, and i would have thought I would have one.

Another possibility is my muffler has some rock rash and could be changing the sound a bit, but I still think I feel a lack in power. I have basic tools, like a tester light and a meter. Any help? Thanks guys!

J.D.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The "How to repair and modify ford fuel injection" book has a good section on diagnostics. One of those is a cylinder balance test. If you do find a weak hole, you can swap parts around (injectors, plugs, wires) and look for the weak hole to move. When you move one part and the power balance show a change to that other hole, you have your part.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I think I posted the instructions from it up here at some time in the past. Might try searching for it and see. It's not a bad idea to get that book either but it might get you started a little faster.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help. Turned out to be real simple (write that one in the record books). I pulled a plug to see what it looked like. Nothing unusual, but in my clumsyness I dropped it and it broke in half. Well I guess I gotta get new ones now. I return with new ones and start to replace them. I get to the third one and when I pull the wire off, I could see a white tarnish on the spark plug head. I examine the wire to find where the insualtion had been damaged because the spark was going thru it and to the exhaust header. So I continue to replace all the plugs and take her for a test drive. Runs like a champ again. Now I need new wires that clamp on better. Most of these were too loose.

What is a good set of wires that won't break the bank? I have Jacobs ignition and I think Jacobs wires (blue in color), but I am not set on those.

DSC00018.JPG

You wanna know something crazy? I have never replaced a set of plugs or wires in my LIFE, until now. I do know that I have to keep them straight as the go back in, but I have never had to replace a set. Just funny to think.

J.D.