• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 to NV3550/D20

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It really doesn't matter that you have a 351W rather than a 302, or even the tire size. Your 3.50 gears just aren't compatible with a NV3550 tranny.
Of course, you can just opt not to use the overdrive gear on your NV3550. In that case, the combo would work fine.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have 351 and the mazda m5od in mine. Gearing is close to the 3550. I run 36" tires and currently only have 3:50 gears. It does very well given the torque of the 351. However. I run around in third gear all the time. In 4th at a gps 60 mph i run about 1800 or 1900. I rarely use 5th. 4:56's are on the menue for this winter. But you can drive it dependably with the 3:50's