• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 W Swap Timing Firing issues? Help

Broncoman1966

Bought an 87 Bronco with a ggod running Windsor pulled the engine cleaned and checked everything replaced all gaskets. Bearing looked almost new so left them same. I pulled my old 302 out. Used flywheel torque converter and put all back together. I used the stock 302 timing cover water pump power steering with adapters. Got eveything put back together and fitted together nice. Tried to crank it today and ran into a snag. First had no fire so checked fire at coil. Coil was bad got another new coil and replaced wires and plugs. Now fining. Set up the distributor 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 (Number 1 cylinder on right bank, nearest radiator) it acted like it almost wanted to crank and started back firing. I thought I may be 180 degrees off on the distributor. So I reset the distributor 180 not correct either. I pulled the head covers off and checked my rocker settings and got 1 cylinder lined up rechecked the harmonic balancer and it was dead center lined up the distributor to center worked moved it right and left almost crank again started back firing. I called my buddy that has a 351 w in his he confimed that I had to set it back 180 so I corrected that and almost started backfired badly never could get it to set. So I changed out the cap and button and pulled the distributor out of buddies 351. Put it in Same issues. So we put his back in his truck set the timing and his is setup just like mine! Any ideas?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Timing marks not lining up? if you look at the keyway at the end of the damper it should be straight up at TDC regardless of what any timing marks might say.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Timing marks not lining up? if you look at the keyway at the end of the damper it should be straight up at TDC regardless of what any timing marks might say.

X2. I think if you reused the 302 timing cover then the pointer is probably on the wrong side for a 351. Seems that the 351 marks are usually on the passenger side and the 302 marks on the driver's side.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just a little clarity #1 cylinder is on the left side front as you look at the engine from the front. As was said timing marks could be off. Did you use the balancer off your 302 or is it the 351 balancer if its the 351 balancer then your way off. In that case you need to find TDC and remark the balancer or just swap balancers.

OP
OP
Broncoman1966

Broncoman1966

You are right the timing marks are on the left on a 351 w and right on 302. I used a 302 Harmonic Balancer and timing cover could that be what the problem is? If so how do I set it? I never thought of that. I set up the distributor Clockwise from center bottom to the left all the way around.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you used the 302 cover and balancer than everything should be fine. Firing order goes counter clockwise as looking from the front of the engine.

OP
OP
Broncoman1966

Broncoman1966

So I should have set up the distributor 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 start on bottom center of cap this is 1 move right to next then this is 3 next to the right is 7 and so on? I am looking at the distributor now driver side is to the right on the distributor. So if I was placing the wires I would continue on in a counter clockwise motion to the right. Correct if so that is my problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
yes where ever you start the number 1 wire go CCW with the next wire and keep going.

OP
OP
Broncoman1966

Broncoman1966

Just printed out that diagram Thanks so much. I'll set it up like this tommorrow after work. Thanks broncnaz and cs_88 and everyone else that was quick! If you guys ever come my way I owe you some beers!