• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Windsor question swap into 76 bronco

soala70

Starting a rebuild on a 1986 351 Windsor. I understand hood clearance concerns
And header clearance concerns . What I have a question on is I have read conflicting stories on having to swap radiators or water pumps anything to this?
Running a C4 transmission behind it . Any help y'all could give me would be appreciated . Thank you in advance

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
did you have cooling issues with your current set up? what kind of driving and where you are in the country (climate)? lot of variables affect the temp gage...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Shouldn't have to swap anything to do with cooling unless you have a reverse turning water pump.

Power steering pump bracket will need to be up graded.

OP
OP
S

soala70

No cooling issues will be mainly driving around town and back-and-forth to hunting club
Back and forth to beach about all

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The front of a Windsor is the same as the front of the 302.
Take the front parts off the 302, put onto the 351. All the hoses will line up. The water pump will match the radiator. The pulleys will line up.

Only snag is the heads are further up due to the taller block. Any vender has the old school 351W conversion spacers so they line up.

Now if you are trying to use the newer accessory drive, that is a whole different can of worms. Some are good, some are bad.

Hint about the flexplate. The 351 was probably backed by a C6 or E4OD transmission. While the tooth count and convertor bolt circle are probably right for the C4, don't use it. The offset is slightly different. You need a C4 or AOD/AODE/4R70W offset flexplate. Now if the convertor bolt circle doesn't match, you have the obsolete flexplate for the small convertor bolt circle. The fix is to get a convertor with the bigger bolt circle. I think '76 is a good year and should not be a problem.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Use 302 front dress and your fine. 302 water pump, pulleys and accessories. You need 2 cheap adapters for the ps and alt bracket. I would roll with the 302 radiator. If it doesn't handle it upgrade. With the right manifold and air cleaner it will fit with stock hood

jckkys

Bronco Guru
What kind of vehicle was the 351 donor? Panther sedans that were mostly police interceptor Crown Vics, swap into Broncos easier than '86 trucks. They are also better engines over all. The possible exception would be the 5.8 Liter 4V HO in '86 Broncos F150s,250s, and E250s. The crown Vic engines have an early Bronco friendly oil pan and timing chain cover. All they need is the early Bronco 302 harmonic damper water pump, timing pointer, and exhaust manifolds. The 100A alternator with it's voltage regulator, is a good transplant candidate too. It fits with the EB brackets. You will need the reproduction '69 351w Mustang adapters for the power steering pump and alternator sold by Bronco Graveyard here;http://shop.broncograveyard.com/351W-Alternator-Adapter-Bracket/productinfo/10743/.
The truck HO engine has the same long block with a 4bbl intake and 600 cfm Holley. You'll still need the Crown Vic oil pan.

OP
OP
S

soala70

Donor truck was a 1986 f150 4x4 that was rear ended and totaled has 78000 original miles
Starting rebuild on it tomorrow nite doing nothing major flat tops with a rv cam

68stang73

You might need w body lift if you don't have one. I'm doing a frame up on a 66 w/a351 out of 95 f150. I bought a c6 and used the same flex plate from the 95 and she starts and runs great.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Donor truck was a 1986 f150 4x4 that was rear ended and totaled has 78000 original miles
Starting rebuild on it tomorrow nite doing nothing major flat tops with a rv cam

That can mean damage to the crankshaft and main bearings from force transfer through the driveline.
Make sure the rebuilders inspect for it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
feel free to PM me with any any questions....had a boatload of problems when i did mine because of lack of knowledge....all filed away upstairs now! ;)

OP
OP
S

soala70

Tasker I'm sure I'll take you up on that we are tearing down motor tomorrow nite to take to machine shop as soon as I get through that I'll probably hit you up. Thanks

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Here is a few things I ran into in my swap....If you use the front dress from the Bronco 302, you will need the alternator and power steering pump adapter. the engine is a bit wider and taller, so a body lift is prolly needed. I had a 2" BL, and I dont see how I could have made the air cleaner fit under an uncut hood. the flywheel of flexplate can be used. If going manual, you will need the bell crank adapter for the clutch, or drill out and tap the boss on the 351 block for the crank frame bolt. Long headers can be made to work with just a little tweaking as I found the collector tube flanges were hitting the frame...a little heat and a pry bar took care of that. My clutch linkage also was hitting one of the manifold tubes, once again a little heat and a hammer took care of that. I didnt have any issues with shorty headers(WH titaniums). If running a C4, you may have to modifye the kick down rod.
My heads on the 351 had smog tubes going in the back of the heads, I had to find a couple bolts to plug the holes...do this before install, as there is not room to work this after the engine is in place... You may also have to trim a few bolt stems coming thru the firewall...I had a couple that were contacting the valve cover flanges....actually rubbed thru the flange causing a leak.
You can use the original throttle bell crank, but its best to run a throttle cable system from one of the vendors.
Just another note....some of the vendors HD motor mounts will raise the engine slightly, making under a factory hood even more difficult.
I had cooling issues in my original installation, and ended up drilling and tapping the back bosses on the intake manifold. I then added a crossover tube, a valve and then plumbing it into the return heater hose. This solve my heating issue immediatley..
351W EFI.....you will need a BL and possibly a hood scoop.

OP
OP
S

soala70

Thanks for all the input it will come in handy
Keep it coming never can have to much input

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
My 351W swap hit a snag when the left bank hit the firewall. I ended up putting in new Ford body mounts which gave me a 3/4" BL and shifting the body back on the frame just a tad to get some clearance.
Also had to lengthen the kick down lever.
HTH

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool::cool::cool: If you have a 2" lift or more you can use the truck pan that came with the motor. Use the front of the 289/302 and all will work you will need a adapter to fit the alt. get from mustang it bolts over the soft plug and the alt. bolts in the center of it. On the ones I have done used headers and not had any problems; If you are using a carb.you (stock) you can use a bronco air cleaner or a low typ, I run a 14"X2 on a 69 351W 4V works good was done in about 72 still working. If you worry about the pan back in the day Duffs had a print on how to fix the 289/302 pan and use the 351W rear main part into the 289/302 pan. Good luck and have fun.;D;D;D Bill:cool::D;D

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Duff used to sell a 351 conversion pan made as you say. I guess the expense of using 2 pans to weld together parts of each was a lot more than just buying the '80s Crown Vic pans they sell now. I believe those old Duff 351 pans are the best ever made for a 351 swap into EBs. The hood clearance issue is only a problem with after market intakes. The combination of a '69 351 Mustang 4bbl intake and superior OE Bronco air cleaner works with no body lift or butchering of the hood.

OP
OP
S

soala70

I have read on here but can't find again that someone used new body mounts got a 3/4" lift and was using a eldebrock intake with stock hood any one read this ? And is there a serp belt system that I can convert to that uses mech fuel pump?

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So far I've had to trim two bolts on the firewall that were close to the 351W based engine I swapped into mine. Other than that, it went in as smoothly as the 302 came out. I'm running an Edelbrock Performer RPM air-gap intake, 3" tall air cleaner (with a drop mount from a Corvette), WH extreme duty engine mounts and 2" BL.

Stock hood closed to my amazement. Didn't just slam it, though. Will be starting it this weekend after I checking out the new Painless wiring harness.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA

I have read on here but can't find again that someone used new body mounts got a 3/4" lift and was using a eldebrock intake with stock hood any one read this ? And is there a serp belt system that I can convert to that uses mech fuel pump?

Frenchy on here sells the 1/2"-3/4" lift body mounts.

If you want to run a serpentine with factory parts you can use the timing cover you have with a 1987-1993 Mustang 5.0 reverse rotation water pump (ROUND holes in the metal back cover) and 1987-1996 van (Saginaw pump) or 1987-1993 F-Series (Ford whiny pump) and pulleys. You will need a radiator cross over tube or a radiator with the lower inlet tube on the drivers side.

And your truck oil pan may work fine with a lift, mine does.