• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W cam recommendations

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I'm building another 351W and this one is for the FireBronco.
Looking for cam suggestions.

What grind do you run in your 351W?

72Quarterhorse

I don't have your answer but the pro's will want to know What are you using for intake and exhaust?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Can you offer more about what your Bronco will be used for: Street, Off-road? and are you looking for stock, mild performance or a radical build?

Any other information on existing components that will be used or other components you are planning to use is also helpful for camshaft recommendations

DJs74

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mild build dual duty, street and off-road. Quench 302 heads, dish pistons. About 9.5 to 1 comp. 4v aftermarket intake, headers or stock manifold.

I have a crower Baja beast grind in the yellow77. May go the same route.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I personally prefer Lunati & Comp Cam and recently installed the 351W Comp XE268 in my 302. I think you would be happy with any camshaft in the 262° - 274° duration range. 280° and up starts to move your power band up, so unless you are looking for your power to start in the mid 2000 RPM range and go up to 7000+ then I'd go for the 262-274 range camshaft. The "magnum" - "high energy" - "xtreme energy" are all good camshafts from Comp. Lunati offers the "Voodoo" and they are good also. Personally, I like a split duration cam (for example: 268 duration on the intake / 280 duration on the exhaust). But if you choose a Comp "magnum" series with equal duration, you would probably like it also. Lunati camshafts to look at are "bracket master" and "voodoo"

My Comp XE268 is very happy with 9.5:1 / 10:1 compression, aftermarket intake, 570CFM carburetor, headers and stock/mildly ported cylinder heads. I wished I would have gone ahead with aftermarket heads but the build budget was running thin so I just invested about $600 in the factory cast iron heads (3 angle valve job, pulled pressed in studs and replaced with heavier screw in studs, etc). The XE268 needs a 2200+ converter or manual transmission. Not sure what transmission you are running but if its an automatic, be mindful of camshaft requirements on converters.

If you have a minute or two, visit Comp Cams website and locate the "CamQuest" tool. It is under TECH SUPPORT > CAM RECOMMENDATION > CamQuest Online

You select all the specifics about your vehicle like: intended use, weight, fuel delivery, CR, etc. It will give you a list of maybe 10 camshafts that will match your needs from exact to will work well. It will also give you the recommendations on all the components that should be used with the camshafts they suggest. Great tool!

Hope this helps

DJs74

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For a Carbureted 351W motor.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Agree with DJs74 - Comp Cams XE268 would be very nice.

Hydraulic Roller - Comp Cams XE266HR-12

With either Cam I would suggest the complete K-Kit that includes all the matching related valve train. Don't have to search for parts and all the parts are compatible.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
For a Carbureted 351W motor.

Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Agree with DJs74 - Comp Cams XE268 would be very nice.

Hydraulic Roller - Comp Cams XE266HR-12

With either Cam I would suggest the complete K-Kit that includes all the matching related valve train. Don't have to search for parts and all the parts are compatible.

Yes, X2 on purchasing a complete kit, which is why I recommended going to Comp Cams website. After they help you choose the right cam for your application, they will give the recommendations for all the components that will match (be required) for that particular camshaft (springs, pushrods, rocker arms, lifters, timing set, etc)

**however** watch out for the timing gear set included in the "K" kit. The last kit I purchased included a "one key way zero only" gear set (no advance / no retard options). I prefer the gear set that offers options on the crank gear (-4° / 0° / +4°). If you plan to just install the cam at zero, then no problem. If you prefer advance / retard options, just double check what gear set is offered in the kit you choose.

Thanks,

DJs74

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Comp Cams XE268 kit looks really good. It has double roller timing chain with it. A complete kit at a great price.

Leaning towards it now. Just a couple more questions

What rpm does it idle at?
I have C4 auto
Does it idle nicely while in gear?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Comp Cams XE268 kit looks really good. It has double roller timing chain with it. A complete kit at a great price.

Leaning towards it now. Just a couple more questions

What rpm does it idle at?
I have C4 auto
Does it idle nicely while in gear?

I can't tell you exactly what yours will do or how it will act, but I'll tell you how mine behaves:

Idles @ 800-900 RPMs with the aftermarket converter
Great throttle response
Carries around 15" of vacuum @ idle and power brakes work well
3.50 gear ratio

**If you are running a C-4 automatic, it is advised by Comp and I too advise a higher than stock stall converter. I am running a Hughes 2400 RPM converter and it works perfectly. I don't know how the factory converter would act because I changed mine when I installed the motor.

Good luck,

DJs74

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
In your opinion how much difference would the XE262 grind be? Idling rpms?

The crower Baja beast cam that I'm running with a NP435 manual idles nicely at 600-700 rpms.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
In your opinion how much difference would the XE262 grind be? Idling rpms?

The crower Baja beast cam that I'm running with a NP435 manual idles nicely at 600-700 rpms.

I don't foresee major differences in idling - the XE268 will probably be a bit more choppy due to the duration numbers. The bigger difference between the two camshafts will be in the performance power band ranges.

The 262 is a more tame street mannered camshaft that will have less / different requirements of other components. I don't think the 262 requires a converter change for example (??)

You need to try and visit the website - read what the manufacturer says about both and look at the various components required with each.

A small disclaimer on this whole thing is: what works for me might not work for you. It might not sound or perform the same from one motor to another. All of my statements are based on how mine acts, idles and performs with my setup and assembled by me.

As I said in a previous post, any of the cams from 260ish to 270ish duration should perform well on the street. You just have to make sure that when you pick THE CAM, you also purchase all the other various components that compliment the cam - any short cuts and purposely non-matched components will spell disappointment to you.

that includes but is not limited to: valve springs, lifters, pushrods, timing set, headers, intake manifold, correct carburetor CFMs, converter and so on.

All I'm trying to point out is this: if you choose a specific camshaft and then go against the manufacturers suggestions - you can't really complain about the cam. The cam is definitely not a stand alone item and is only as effective as the rest of the components that are related to it and help it function.

I'm sure you'll pick the right one and do a fine job and will be proud of it in the end. Research is free, take plenty of time for it in the front figuring it all out before you start buying parts.

Comp Cams and Lunati have technical phone numbers and will tell you exactly person to person everything you want to know about proper packages and suggest the right cam for your specific needs - its what they do everyday and get paid to do, take them up on it. Get a pen and pad out and make yourself some notes and call those guys up.

Good luck

DJs74

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Thanks dude I'm not unfamiliar in building engines. I've done many. Just looking for an all around cam that will work great double duty and still idle well.

I like crowers Baja beast and hydraulic hauler series grinds but the HH grind is more for higher end performance builds. With this Windsor it's a budget build that my son will assemble. Keeping it simple

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Madgyver,

I gotcha buddy. I didn't mean to sound too instructive or imply you didn't know motors - sorry if it sounded that way. I was just trying to suggest what I would consider an acceptable range of cams for street / mild performance and at the same time suggest to give the cam pros (like comp or lunati) a call and run your application by them.

If you want to keep costs down, I'd start by picking a cam that did not require any torque converter changes (unless you want to go with a stall). That will automatically cut your list down some and provide you with cam choices in the stock to slightly modified range, you will have good low end torque and smooth idle.

Good luck in whatever you decide and keep us posted.

DJs74

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Leaning toward the XE268 kit. I like the package deal and the cost is reasonable with timing chain included. I got the bill from my machinist and I didn't expect it to be that much but considering my last build was about 9 years ago I believe inflation is a factor here. Thinking I should of gone with aftermarket heads but that would make project snowball in a direction we all know...

Thanks for the suggestions