• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam recommendations for a 351w

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I am in the process of installing an explorer serpentine front dress on a 351W I am installing in my resto mod project. The motor came from a late model (not sure of year but it is not a roller) E350 van I found at a junk yard. The motor is stock and freshly rebuilt with 30 over before the van was wrecked. I am also installing BC headers and exhaust, edelbrock performer intake, and JET rebuilt quadrajet carb. I have not budgeted for a cam but I keep thinking I would be foolish not to install a cam while the motor is out to take advantage of the intake and exhaust mods. I have searched all the cam posts and the more I read the more confused I get. I tried the comp cams website but I don't know a lot of the inputs they are asking for. The truck is being built as a weekend toy with 50/50 mixed driving rolling on 35s with 4.56 gears. Should I just use the factory cam and upgrade down the road if I get additional mods or should I bite the bullet and upgrade now? Any recommendations for this set-up?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Do the cam now its a PITA to swap a cam after the engine is installed. I'd suggest the edelbrock performer cam or something with very similar specs.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Good question, I don't have an answer but Herbert Cams 877-497-2787, which is who I used can help you. They are the experts, if you don't get the answer you want, call again to find the right person, that's what I had to do. Actually I bought a cam, asked about the specs when I got it and the next guy said it was the wrong cam and sent me a different one, of which I'm very happy with. Good luck.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As stated, do the Cam now before motor is installed.

Call Comp Cams. I have always had great success with them. Tell them what you have and what characteristics you want the motor to have. They may come up with a custom grind for you. Does not cost anymore.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Do the cam now its a PITA to swap a cam after the engine is installed. I'd suggest the edelbrock performer cam or something with very similar specs.

I used an Erson cam with almost identical specs as the Edelbrock performer cam. Super Shops (remember them) was out of the Edelbrock cam and showed me the Erson cam had the same specs.
Anyway. Very torquey. Feels good with no real chance of coil bind and such since it is infact rather mild. Very light lope at idle. Uber streetable.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k4400/overview/make/ford
Great flat tappet mostly stock engine choice. Very drivable. Just the slightest hint of a cam at idle that cleans up at tip in. It will idle nearly like a stock cam, plenty of vacuum and can be set to a reasonable idle (don't need a real fast idle). Same grind is sold by well over a half dozen different companies including Ford Motorsport and Edelbrock. The Summit brand is the best price I have found consistently. Works well with upgraded intake and exhaust, but not needed. Stock valvetrain will work. Just a nice overall upgrade cam that doesn't require stacks of additional parts to make it work. I know several running the cam and it has always been a solid street performer.