• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w can’t turn crank to find tdc

Bronco1294

Crank moved when I bought motor. Been inside sitting for a month. Went to turn crank- won’t budge. No plugs installed. WTH??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mice? They will fit through a spark plug hole, fill the cylinders with seeds, piss in the bores.

Have you attached a transmission since it was last checked? That might be what is holding it up.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

She’s been in the garage, unattached to anything. It finally broke loose- there was some water in the oil pan when I dropped it. Rust??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

New pertronix distributor doesn’t have vacuum advance. Going to fitech- did I buy the wrong one?

rspd505

Contributor
Loc.
Rising Sun, IN
That doesn’t sound good. Not sure what your plans are but I believe it will probably need to be gone through. I don’t think I would chance putting it in without being absolutely sure what you have. You said it was running before it was stored? Was it yours or did you get it from someone? Cylinder walls will flash rust. The humidity will creep on there without the plugs.

OP
OP
B

Bronco1294

Got it from someone. Had been rebuilt before a wreck- sat after in the garage on engine stand until I bought it a month ago. Turns fine now- let out a gush of air when it broke loose?

latrucker

Contributor
Condensation got in the bore from not having the plugs in, makes the rings stick to the bore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

As the others have said, very likely at least a little rust.
I would, even as a general practice for an engine that's been sitting, spray some sort of good lube into each cylinder to keep things clean and smooth while you're just rotating it by hand and it's not getting any oil splashed up from running.
I don't know what the best lube would be, but even something like WD-40 would be better than just dry cylinder walls.
Better still if it was something that was thicker and left a film. But again, anything is better than nothing.

New pertronix distributor doesn’t have vacuum advance. Going to fitech- did I buy the wrong one?

Don't know yet. Which Pertronix unit specifically did you go with? Got a part number?
And are you planning to have the FiTech computer control the ignition timing? Presumably so, since you went without a vacuum advance.
But if you're not going that way, then there is almost no such thing as the wrong distributor, since the FiTech is only worried about fuel if you're not letting it run the timing.

I say "almost" no wrong distributor, because just this week someone was having trouble with their new installation and it turned out to be a multi-spark distributor with all that fancy stuff inside the distributor rather than an external module. Not sure what the dealio was, but perhaps it was a simple RFI issue.

But either way, let us know what you've got and how you intend to use it.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
put some ATF in the cylinders and rotate it a a bunch and then put the plugs back in. Get an air cleaner on top too.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
I keep mine bagged with some desicant packs to keep the moisture low. Once a month I pull the plugs, squirt some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and turn it over a few times by hand.