• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w from a full-size bronco

agpu

Loc.
Richmond Hill
I helped a friend pull the engine out of his 80’s full size bronco and as payment he gave me the engine. I currently have a 72 with 1” body lift and a 3.5” suspension lift. I have a stock hood but don’t mind getting a new hood if needed. All of the accessories are on the new engine. He pulled it for a swap he is doing. This engine has a cracked timing chain cover and was leaking coolant. I have not taken anything apart to look at damage yet. My question is what all on this engine do I need to replace to put it in my bronco? I have seen lots of van engine threads but I don’t know what is different between bronco and van engines. Any help is appreciated.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Carb or efi? If it's a carb it will fit under the stock hood with the right manifold and air cleaner. When you replace the timing cover you just put on the eb front dress(water pump and brackets). Even better would be go with the explorer front dress. Depending on what it has might need an oil pan.

OP
OP
agpu

agpu

Loc.
Richmond Hill
It has Efi. The bronco is an 86 the engine came out of. Are there any editors kits that will fit? I really want Efi this time.

Last edited:

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The truck efi is too tall. The stock Ford efi look for a 351w lightning lower intake. Then the rest of the efi off a 98 or newer explorer 5.0. I'm looking to use 96 explorer heads. Not sure if your heads will work. Then theres theget a carb manifold and a fitech option.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
As to heads, if it has heads earlier than E7's upgrade..........E5 and E6 (quick burn) are not that good.....

The E7's are good heads, GT40's are better and GT40P's better still......

Tim

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
On top of the head under the valve cover; on the bottom of the head, requiring the head to be removed; and on the side of the head just under the valve cover lip. If you have the valve cover off, look for any code number at either end of the head. If the head has been removed, the code will appear on the top, bottom or side.

What year bronco? 85-86 should be E5's 87-95 should be E7's

Tim

McLeod

Are you sure it is a 351W?
The 351W didn't get EFI until 1988.

The 5.0 got EFI in 1986.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since you have a damaged timing cover look at the Explorer accessory drive. Timing chain cover and everything forward of it. Packages great, gets you a great cooling fan.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Prolly has the cfi for fuel injection. Which will fit umder the hood if you can get it to run. Lol

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you are that far in, check the timing chain play, or simply replace it while you have access. The factory plastic gear wears out pretty quick.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Prolly has the cfi for fuel injection. Which will fit umder the hood if you can get it to run. Lol

Ford never put CFI (Central Fuel Injsction, Throttle body EFI) on trucks. The 5.0 got EFI first, Bank fired port injection starting in '84. At a time when some cars were getting CFI. Trucks always got port injection.

The last year for a carburetor on a 351 was 1986.

There were rumors that you could get a fuel injected 351 from a crown vic with the cop car package. Those are false. All crown vic 351 were carburated. The 302 could be had with CFI.