• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W gurus needed

jondokken

Loc.
Phoenix
I've only had this truck for a couple months and I've finally decided to dive in and get some items addressed now that the heat is rolling in to AZ. Long story short, here is what I've discovered with the motor.

I ran a compression test yesterday, all cylinders were at 120-ish psi.
Spark plugs are fairly black, some with oil on the threads.

It also puked a little coolant the other day(temps were in the 80s). The PO had an anti-freeze bottle jammed behind the grill as his catch/overflow can.

It doesn't have a functioning temp gauge (yet) so I'm not sure how hot it's running. When I initially got the truck it seemed to smoke a bit out of the exhaust pipes but that has seemed to go away for the most part.

What would be the best course of action to address the black/oiled plugs and correct the coolant issue? I've got some assumptions of my own but I thought I'd ask the experts and try and come up with a good plan of attack to get this thing in better shape. If you have recommendations for specific parts/items I'm all ears. I apologize if I've left out any important info but I can take a look at the truck so let me know what you need. I appreciate any feedback.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
Plugs indicate you are running too rich. Properly tune the carb and install smaller jets if needed. This may help the cooling issue as well.

351Ws may need a larger radiator still, assuming the stock one is installed now.

70_Steve

Old Guy
What would be the best course of action to address the black/oiled plugs and correct the coolant issue?
The oil on the spark plug threads is most likely from the outside. Not a concern. As mentioned, the black plugs indicate it's running rich. Are you running a carb or fuel injection? If a carb it may just need a rebuild. If it's an aftermarket carb (Edelbrock Performer, Holley Truck Avenger, etc) it most likely needs to be tuned.

I'm running a 351 and run the stock radiator, although it has been recored with a 4 tube core. I never have a problem with overheating, even while wheeling around Phoenix at 110°. I suggest you start off with some routine maintenance with your cooling system. Maybe run a cooling system flush, pull off the bottom radiator hose and back-flush, etc.

Where in Phoenix are you?

OP
OP
jondokken

jondokken

Loc.
Phoenix
Thanks guys, this is the info I need to get me going in the right direction. I appreciate it. I'm running a carb, it appears to be a Holley 2 barrel. We made some simple adjustments to fuel level and air/fuel when I first got it to get it running a little better, but haven't touched it since. On the cooling side it appears to have a stock radiator with an aftermarket shroud. Would it be a good idea to also replace the thermostat while I'm at it?
70_Steve, the truck is currently at my shop, just North of the 101 & 17.

70_Steve

Old Guy
On the cooling side it appears to have a stock radiator with an aftermarket shroud. Would it be a good idea to also replace the thermostat while I'm at it?
70_Steve, the truck is currently at my shop, just North of the 101 & 17.
For the cooling system, I think a functioning temperature gauge would be a top priority. Without that, everything is a guess.

I live at 35th Ave and Deer Valley, not too far away. Let me know (PM) if you need an extra set of eyes for something.