• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w is in..Distributor next...

starkypdx

Loc.
Secret lab in Oregon
Okay.
Motor is now in w/ a few more things to do before I turn the key.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to installing a distributor?

My question is: How do you know you're spot on and not a couple of teeth off when you install it? Can it harm the engine during it's initial startup if this is off?

I know the engine is at TDC of the #1. So do I install w/ the rotor directed to one of the posts and then install the wires from there in the correct firing order? is it that easy or am I missing something?

orangemoneypit

Loc.
Sandy Eggo, CA
Make sure the #1 cylinder is at its compression stroke. Look on the cap to find #1 and mark it on the dist. When you are setting it in turn the rotor bug about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch left so it will line up and slide in while the gears mesh. Hopefully your oil pump rod has the little centering hoo yah (technical term); otherwise it can be a pain to get it in there.

Bronco71

Loc.
Farmers Branch, TX
Make SURE #1 is on compression stroke! With valve cover off make sure #1 valves are closed/rockers even. If cover is on ull #1 plug and have helper cover hole with thumb while engine is turned by hand; when presure is blowing thumb off hole it is coming up to #1 compression stroke; I then set indicator at 10 degrees BTDC so when I drop distributor in with rotor at #1 it is at initial timing already. Be sure to clock dist. housing with #1 pointing correctly; depends if EFI or not but have to have room to turn dist. to set the timing! Also when dropping it in start a little CCW from #1 mark as timing gear will move dist. some as it drops in.

If the oil pump shaft is being a pain(as usual) I put a dab of clean axle grease on the end of it to get it to stay in the center. once the timing gear is engaged with the dist./rotor in proper place you can bump the engine over to get the shaft flats to line up & dist. will drop rest of the way in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
starkypdx said:
I know the engine is at TDC of the #1. So do I install w/ the rotor directed to one of the posts and then install the wires from there in the correct firing order? is it that easy or am I missing something?

Actually, in a pinch you CAN do it this way, so basically you're right. But like the others are saying, the distributor cap usually has the number one position marked and it's best to use it so that down the road when you're messing with wires, you have a starting reference.
I know that you say it's on TDC for #1 already, but the point I think the others are making is that if you just used the markings on the damper, then you could be one full crank rotation off. Since you're engine just got installed you've probably got it right on, but it never hurts to verify. Many's the time we "thought" we had it on TDC...
On different engines there are different positions that work best as far as how the distributor housing is installed. Assuming you have a vacuum advance or TFI type, you just install the it so that the can or module points in the most convenient direction to give you a good range of adjustment later. Then spin the shaft so that the rotor points at or near the number one position on the cap and like was mentioned, rotate it a bit off so that when the spiral cut gears start meshing, the shaft will rotate back to line up the way you wanted. You'll see how it works. It's no problem to play with it until you're familiar with how it's going to react.
Picture the housing and the shaft/rotor/gear as two separate entities and you'll find it easier to picture what's needed.
The final hurdle as was also mentioned is to get it to engage all the way past the gear and on to the oil pump shaft so if it doesn't pop right in, do what Bronco71 suggested.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
starkypdx

starkypdx

Loc.
Secret lab in Oregon
Thanks for the help guys! It's in and instead of MAKING SURE it was TDC I just went for it. Yep... installed it 180 deg off.

Got it all switched around and fired up!

To all that helped me with the last minute tech stuff I owe a great big THANKS!

Hope to see all of you at SOB 8!

cheers,
Starky.