• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w Oil pan question

MikeKC130J

Contributor
Have a 351w out of an econoline will the dual sump pan still work? Or do I have to get a bronco specific. I have a 1 in body lift and 2.5 in suspension lift.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm running a stock 96 E350 van pan on my 351W. Same BL and SL as you.

No issues for me BUT I don't offroad. Street only......

Tim

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I don't believe there is an EB pan for 351Ws. The OE 289-302 EB pan can have the rear main cap portion of a 351W welded on to make a real 351W EB pan. Duff's did this 45 yrs. ago. Now the best choice is the Ford '80s Panther (Crown Vic) body duel sump 351W pan. The front axle/differential will hit these on full compression, but that's the best production pan there is for the 351W.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
It looks like Wild Horses and Duffs sell a 351W oil pan for the early broncos that clears the D44 and cross member. I am about to do a 351w swap myself.

BanditBronco

I just used the 351w swap pan from Wildhorses. My only advise would be to buy an oil pan stud kit and oil pan stiffener rails. I am not sure I would have gotten it installed leak free without both those things, maybe if you oversize the holes one size. It wasn't a perfect fit as with most aftermarket parts these days. I still think it is the easiest way to get it done and I would do it again if I had to.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A body lift has zero affect on oil pan fit.
A suspension lift doesn't change the dynamic clearance, unless you change the bumpstops. the static clearance will go up with a suspension lift, but you need to account for dynamic suspension travel as you drive.
Econolines actually had a couple different oil pans over the years. There is a mid-sump Econoline pan that also exists. Pictures of it are in the Tom Monroe small block ford rebuild book.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The fact remains. There is no 351W pan made for the EB chassis. ALL the vendors sell the '80s Panther body 351W pan. The only difference is the price and the distance it needs to be shipped. ALL these pans will be hit by some part of the front axle when the suspension is fully compressed. I'm in the same boat, running the same pan. The difference is that I'm not happy about it. There are some of the early James Duff 351W pans, converted from real EB pans, but I haven't found one yet.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Milodon makes a 351w 4x4 pan. Its also got a notch in the back corner for the driveshaft if you run a high pinion 44. The pick up is sold separate. I think it's like 450 for the pan and pickup.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The fact remains. There is no 351W pan made for the EB chassis. ALL the vendors sell the '80s Panther body 351W pan. The only difference is the price and the distance it needs to be shipped. ALL these pans will be hit by some part of the front axle when the suspension is fully compressed. I'm in the same boat, running the same pan. The difference is that I'm not happy about it. There are some of the early James Duff 351W pans, converted from real EB pans, but I haven't found one yet.

I will agree there is no FACTORY pan. But there is an aftermarket pan with the clipped corner for diff clearance that is specific to a 351W in a Bronco chassis. So it does exist, just not a cheap stock replacement or off a junkyard engine.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've seen the Milodons. That's just their 351 Mustang duel sump pan with a corner of the rear sump cut off. It's clearly not a pan designed from the ground up, for the EB chassis. It's a cheap short cut, something Bubba would make in his basement. It's not well thought out and not worth 460 bucks. I would pay that for one of the early Duff's 351 conversions of OE 302 pans, not the for the Milodon.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I've seen the Milodons. That's just their 351 Mustang duel sump pan with a corner of the rear sump cut off. It's clearly not a pan designed from the ground up, for the EB chassis. It's a cheap short cut, something Bubba would make in his basement. It's not well thought out and not worth 460 bucks. I would pay that for one of the early Duff's 351 conversions of OE 302 pans, not the for the Milodon.

As I recall Stacey David use that same pan when he built Crazy Horse nearly 20 years ago. So that Bronco specific off-road pan from Milodon has been around for a very very long time

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Crazy Horse was a stroked 302 (347 I believe). Milodon makes both pans for the Bronco chassis, 302 based and 351 based.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
There's a guy who shows up to the long beach hot rod swap meet maybe once a year with like new milodon plans for about a third of the price. I think they're demos or something. I think I paid 100 for the 351w pan without the pickup. Swap meet is tomorrow morning(7/14) for any of you so cal guys. 75and older vehicles park in preferred free. If you're in preferred you can bring your own cooler.