• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w SWAP PLEAE HELP ASAP

G

my "bitchin302" aint so bitchin since it blew friday, toms bronco parts said id have to change the oil pan, no biggie. they also said i could use my 302 flywheel, also to use my 302 timing cover and water pump, now besides the small fabrication of a alt bracket and maybe throttle linkage is THERE ANYTHING and i mean ANYTHING ANYONE can think of im overlooking? NEED help ASAP.

66horse

Bronco Guru
Well not enough details to knw your exact plans but your intake of the 302 will not fit on your 351.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Use all the 302 crap up front plus an alt and ps brkt(cheap). modify throttle linkage. possible exhaust mods depending on what you have. May also need a hood scoop.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Clutch linkage, hood clearance, and just buy Chucks throttle cable to make your life a hell of a lot simpler.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Don't overlook the clutch bellcrank (I am assuming you have a manual trans since you used the word "flywheel".). The 351W block that you get probably won't have the hole drilled and tapped in the block to accept the stock EB clutch linkage. Drill and tap the block while the motor is out of the Bronco. You'll be glad you did. Look at the most recent issue of Bronco Driver mag for pic of the hole that needs to be drilled as well as a write-up of how to do the conversion and what is needed.

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
Sorry to hear about the "ole 302" I just did a 289/351 change. and some of the areas for comment are:
By the way hope you're using a pre-1981 351 engine.
1. I did a one inch body lift at the same time and (I didn't know it at the time) that accounted for everything lining up again because the 351 is one inch taller (and an inch wider) than the 302. You could use sold stock (round/square etc) and drill the 1/2" or 9/16" hole in them (eight needed). Longer bolts will be needed also. Also no hood clearance problems either. Other items maybe too short though. I don''t have that probem ;D ;D ;D Also, a one inch lift helps keep the fire wall a little farther away from the bigger engine. Fan in the center of the radiator. All in all a serinpidedous move. (Big word hope it's spelled right ;D)
2. If you're using later model lower compression (smog heads) don't forget to put the plugs in the rear of the heads before installation. It's a bitch afterwards. :-
3. Buy the alt/p.s. adapter brackets from one of our Bronco companies. I spent the better part of a day building mine and they're not perfect.
4. Make sure you use the three point balancer on the front of the engine so all the accessories line up. Other than the two brackets everything will move from the 302 to the 351. Intake manifold is different size also, but carb should work just fine.
5. Make Sure you get a bigger Better RADIATOR!. Fresh 351 generates some heat.
I used stock cast iron exhaust manifolds. The ones with the extra web casting fingers down the side are stronger. Muffler shop didn't have a problem making new exhaust. I didn't like the headers that were on the old engine.
6. You'll need to replace the distributor. 351 is an inch longer.
7. I used a cam designed for power from 1200 to 5500 RPMs. I used a double roller cam chain, there is three places you can set the chain. To make more torque off idle, stock and more torque on the top end. I use the bottom end torque. Guess where I have my rpms most of the time 8)
Good luck You will love the power a 351 makes. As a last note. Keep it stock. Other than braggin' rights the 351 makes more power than you can use anyway.

rstgermaine

Unfortunately, you can't just bolt on a serp set-up from a 302 - I doubt you could even find one without getting the whole motor. The 351 has 1 inch taller decks so the heads sit an inch higher up and a lot of the serp bracketry bolts to the heads so you'd have to fabricate some brackets to relocate the holes. Ever notice how the aluminum bracket on the pass side head has two holes with only one of them being used (stock belt set-up)? The top hole is for use on a 302 while the same bracket used on a 351 uses the bottom hole. By the way, this only holds for the old V-belt drives. The serp set-up uses a whole bunch of bolts to the heads and would be very difficult to adapt. I think BC Broncos has a kit to serp a 351 for like $500.00.