• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w

Casey835

Was plannin g on rebuilding one of my 302s for my bronco, but as im getting closer to that im really thinking about going for a 351w. Is there certain years to look for or any other good advice you could give for my search. I have my eye on one that is currently in a full size bronco that is for sell for $450. Thinking hard about getting it and cleaning it up and running it for a while. It runs good.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Was plannin g on rebuilding one of my 302s for my bronco, but as im getting closer to that im really thinking about going for a 351w. Is there certain years to look for or any other good advice you could give for my search. I have my eye on one that is currently in a full size bronco that is for sell for $450. Thinking hard about getting it and cleaning it up and running it for a while. It runs good.

EFI? serp belt what year is the one your looking at?

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
I agree with Broncoxraptor also a roller block. There is nothing wrong with a flat tappet block but many have had problems with breaking in due to the change in oil. I went with a flat tappet because it was cheap. I haven't done a "break in" yet but I did buy special break in oil.

OP
OP
Casey835

Casey835

not for sure about exact year, I thought i saw injection on it but the was told it had a four barrel on it. I will check it out as soon as I can get back to it.

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Why are roller blocks better? I was thinking of doing a 69 351W stroked out. Should I sell it and get a roller block?

Is there less wear, better horsepower or torques in rollers?

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Why are roller blocks better? I was thinking of doing a 69 351W stroked out. Should I sell it and get a roller block?

Is there less wear, better horsepower or torques in rollers?

More Hp and Trq from a full roller motor, there is plenty of power to be had in a flat tappet cam block and it can also be converted to a roller if you want to.

OP
OP
Casey835

Casey835

Well the Bronco is a 86. It is a 351 with a made by holley for ford 4 barrel carb on it. Wasnt really in the market right now but if the price is right Im gonna get the whole Bronco-It has a auto tranny in it-I guess a c4 or c6, whatever tcase is in it, all the power steering stuff including column, is there, AC, had a big bearing 9" but somebody took the gears and axles, dont think the front disc are interchangeable though. The brake boost is gone and the MC looks really rough. Im gonna try and get it all for $500-$800. Whatcha think?

From the research I did, I believe you can make the tappet block a roller block as well and it looks like all the 351w are desirable good motors. Also interested it the 351m-think that is the modified one. If this deal falls through, gonna look for one of those as well. Believe thats what Bax has in his.

Redneckboogie

Loc.
Apopka,Fl
stay away from the modified. no parts available at a realistic price, the heads flow terrible and the oiling passages in the motor up to the cam is very poor. not worth looking at. stay with the 351 windsor, heads, valve covers, rocker arms & starters are interchangeable with 302's and there alot of good used parts out there in the mustang world.