• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

37's with limited slip a waste?

marklc

Contributor
Will a limited slip even be worth putting on my Bronco with 37" tires? thinking clutches in it would be too weak for that size tire anyway. Or would I be better off with an open carrier until I can get the ARB's I really want. Have a full spool in it now that I definitely don't want. There is a locker in the front for when I'm off roads that should help.
Thanks

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
How hard do you wheel?

That will determine how much use you will have for a limited slip. Personally I would steer you towards a TrueTrac over a clutch type limited slip since they don't have clutches to wear out and still have awesome traction.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I've found a 35" tire to be about the limit to get a limited slip to lock up well enough to make a difference.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Don't wheel hard and like I said there is a locker in the front.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Maybe I'll just go with the open until I can spend the time and coin on the ARB's.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
35's and a tru track work well for me. It locks tires up on level ground always, even drag racing on pavement leaves 2 black marks.

Germd

How hard do you wheel?

That will determine how much use you will have for a limited slip. Personally I would steer you towards a TrueTrac over a clutch type limited slip since they don't have clutches to wear out and still have awesome traction.

What he said - but if you're eventually going with an air-locker just stick with what you got and save your pennies for the locker.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
I just don't wanna cruise aroun on the street too much with a full spoil. I'm afraid I'll break something. LOL

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I wheeled 36 x 13.30 Iroks in Hot Springs with a LS in the front. Worked great for what it was. Clutches seemed to be fine. Main issue was when u get one of the front wheels off the ground. WAY better than open carrier but also not as good as an actual locker obviously (which I have now).

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Think you've already figured it out but either way a LS would be a waste with that size of tire. especailly when you already have plans for a ARB. Save the $$ and do it right once.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
If it were me, I would move straight to the ARB. Why mess with tearing the axle down and resetting the gear lash twice? Granted it's a 3rd member and easier then rigid axle, but there's enough involved in swapping out carriers that you certainly don't want to do it back to back. I'm assuming you'll do this labor yourself and cost is the driver preventing you from going straight to a selectable locker? If so and you have to get the spool out, then I'd throw an open carrier in as you can definitely find one on the cheap or even free! Save the $$$ you'd spend on an LSD for the selectable locker...

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
It has a full spool in now that I am trying to eliminate. It has 31 spline Yukon alloy axles in it. I think I will just try and find an open one for now. Just don't have the money to spend on the ARB at the moment.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A good limited slip (TrueTrac) will cost you about $500 which will put you that much farther behind on buying the ARB.

On the other hand you might use the TrueTrac and find that you don't need/want the ARB.

Current max. tire size for the TrueTrac is 38".

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Oh boy! Every time I think I have made my decision someone throws more good advice in and makes me rethink LOL! I'm not a hardcore off roader just the occasional romp. On that note thinking the ARB would be overkill for my needs. Especially considering I have the locker in front and worst case scenario a winch.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I have a Powr-Lok in my D70 that has never broke a tire loose with 43's. It does have D80 clutches in it though...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Oh boy! Every time I think I have made my decision someone throws more good advice in and makes me rethink LOL! I'm not a hardcore off roader just the occasional romp. On that note thinking the ARB would be overkill for my needs. Especially considering I have the locker in front and worst case scenario a winch.

A popular combo is locker in front and TrueTrac in back.

The only time that will cause any problem is in 4wd in snow, lockers often make the vehicle go sideways then.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
That's it! Im ordering a truetrac thanks guys!!!