• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3rd gear shakes

Tightdog

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any idea what the problem is. Bronco drives pretty smooth until I hit 3rd gear and then it starts shaking pretty bad. It is definitely the motor almost like the low rpms are causing it to shake badly. If I push in the clutch it stops so I feel like it's not related to alignment/suspension/wheel balance or anything like that. It's a 302 with 3 spd in the floor. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thx

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Could be the centering joint on the front of the rear shaft where the double joint fitting is too. If any of them are going out the faster you go the more vibration you will have.

OP
OP
T

Tightdog

Brand new rear driveshaft. And it felt exactly the same when I had the rear ds out running in front wheel drive. And I just put new u joints in the front ds as well. But thanks

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Worth a shot. Good luck , I am sure someone will come up with the answer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you ever changed the gear oil in the transmission? Might be too late of course, as it could be some excess wear in the transmission itself.
When in third gear, the two shafts (input and output) are linked together as one. While this still utilizes the same two main bearings (input and output again), running it straight through changes the internal dynamics of the trans and it might be putting some "English" on something that doesn't like it.

You should at least check the oil level, if you have not already. Worth a quick shot anyway. And change it out completely if you have never done it or don't know it's history.

And I know you said it sounded like you were lugging the engine, so you obviously know all about that with vehicles, but could that actually still be it? How fast are you going when shifting into third, and what gear ratio is in the pumpkin with what size tires?
Just curious if that's got anything to do with anything or not.

Since it's on the floor, the shifter is not likely to be hitting anything electrical under there that could cause it to run rough in third, but that's actually a possibility sometimes with 3-on-the-tree shifters.

Can't think of anything else off hand.
Good luck.

Paul