• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3spd column won't shift (removed steer wheel)

bpr

I removed my steering wheel this past wkend and now I cant shift into 2cd or 3rd. 1st to reverse only. I have had 3spd columns get hung up before on various vehicles and have already checked the normal stuff. I have to believe it is related to steering wheel removal because I also removed the shifter to get dash out for stripping/painting.

HELP ! Any suggestions.

Thanks

ViperTed

I had that problem once and it was the linkage that had been bumped out of position. Pop the hood and place that shift rod in its proper position and try again.

OP
OP
B

bpr

I had did that many times. I have had several 3spd column vehicles and I understand the normal linkage hangups. I'm just trying to see if anyone has had an issue after steering wheel / shifter removal and the fix.

Thanks tho

rwill

I would disconnect at trans and work back from there. If you can shift at trans then you know it is not back in proper alignment on the column.
Good luck,
Roger

OP
OP
B

bpr

I agree I was just wondering if there was "Proper" way to remove/replace steering wheel / column shifter. Everything in neutral or something like that. Also wondering if I could have lost a small crucial part while doing this.

Thanks for the comments.