• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 speed toploader hurst shifter

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finally had the chance to call hurst ( flow master etc ) today. Talked to a guy in Cali that used to own a glass and speed shop like ten miles from me in NH! Small world. Anyway, shifter I bought predates his training materials. They have a 4 speed shifter and install kit but not EB specific. So some options of at least a fall back plan exists if I can't make old one work

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I have a toploader in my Bronco with a hurst shifter. It came in a kit. I think it's a one size fits all sort of thing and not for the Bronco in particular. I'll see if I can take pictures for you, but it might be too dark out now. If it is too dark I'll try again manana.

YAXT350

Loc.
Annapolis MD
toploader

I am installing a overdrive top loader into my 1970 Bronco, I need a V8 intermediate housing, I think my housing is from a 6 cylinder, many mods on this truck,
Can you tell me the length of your housing behind your top loader?
Thanks
Chris

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I never installed the tranny. The conversion kits retain the stock V8 intermediate housing. I can measure it tomorrow

Hank

RT9

Just saw this. Did you find a shifter? If not PM me. I have the duff setup and not using it. I converted my TLOD to a top shift.

RT9

Long story. Lol. Bought a complete setup with floor shift from someone here on the site.
Found an aluminum case setup and swapped the guts from my iron case EB setup. Had Parker Transmission make the necessary spacer since the aluminum case is 1/8 inch longer. Really love it!
6a66546bd12856c526bbea5ab750df93.jpg

I'll get you some pics tomorrow afternoon.
aef8b4d13a86b476d9ab6a3c57703f85.jpg

Swerve

Hello,

I recently rebuilt my toploader and installed the Advance Adapter shaft. My adapter housing is approx 8 3/4" as well. The adapter housing was from a V-8, early 70's. I found that I needed to trim approx. 1/4" off the end of the AA shaft to allow the transmission to mount flush to the adapter housing. I called AA and they said that there are two (maybe 3?) different lengths of adapter housings for early Bronco and it was AA who told me to just trim the bare amount necessary from the end of the shaft to make them mount flush.

I was also told by a knowledgeable Jeep guy that the top shift shifters used to convert, (from Jeep 178 or something like that) are prone to breaking their tips, so I chose to stay with the Hurst.

Good luck with your project!

Swerve

Attachments

• Bronco Transmission Transfer 4x4x2 Steering Box Mock Up 001.jpg
    Bronco Transmission Transfer 4x4x2 Steering Box Mock Up 001.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 50

YAXT350

Loc.
Annapolis MD
Thanks,
I will stick with the hurst shifter as well, I appreciate your help, this was the information I was looking for.
Chris