• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

48" or 60" high lift jack

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
Planning on picking up a jack for my wagon. It will have a 2.5" sl and 30" tires... I'm sure 48" would be sufficient but wanted opinions from people with experience.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can always shorten a 60" into a 48", or 52", or 56", or whatever you need.
Can't make a 48" any taller.
I have ran out of travel on a 48".

Just saying...

Oildog

Loc.
AJ
Get the 60"... If you get a flexy suspension and big tires in the future, you're gonna need it!

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
For me, the Hi-Lift jack is more of a recovery tool than a jack for changing tires. I would rather use a bottle or scissor jack for that. The Hi-Lift is just too unstable. That being said, go with the largest you have room for.

PuenteMart

Loc.
Buckhead
Had a pickup come off a high lift type jack once while changing a tire. Scared the sheet out of me. I haven't bought one yet, but I guess I'll have to at some point and will probably get the 60".

Wish I could figure a way to install these on the bronco!

mach5_jacks.jpg

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
48" is plenty for your application. With that size tire I would keep a bottle jack handy as well for quick easy use.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have not found a bottle jack yet that will work under my axle with 35" tires on. They run out of lift before it starts to work.
A hi lift with a ratchet strap to stop the suspension from separating when you lift like Scoop recommended is the way to go.

My69Pony

I like my 48", it fits my mounting location much better than a 60" would. Hi Lifts are unstable as it is, I wouldn't want to go higher than my 48" already does.
Brian

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
If you have room get the 60, you don't have to use the full height when jacking, but it might be nice to have the extra length for its other recovery uses.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
The only reason I can think of to not get the taller jack is you just don't have room for it.

investigreg

As already stated, think of the recovery use. Hi-Lift's can be used as a winching device! 60" gives more room to pull when needed. Also, when you are on a trail, you never know when you are breaking down. Some times it happens in the rocks, or trees, when you need to jack up to do a quick fix. I say 60", I have the 60" and no, I have not used the full travel on it, but it is nice to think that I will not have to scavange for wood blocks for a few extra inches, when that time comes and I need that 1' more!

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
As said- go bigger.

I have the 48 on my Bronco, but should have gotten the 60. My crawler has a 60 and I have run out of travel on it. Safety is key here, so always know the situation you are in and be cautious when jacking something up...
Todd