• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show me your......high lift jack locations

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
I currently carry two a 48 an a 60 the 48 is on the roll bar and the 60 is on the bumper s. the 48 is bolted to the rollbar the 60 is pinned to welded on hood pins on the bumper.

Attachments

• hi-lift 001.jpg
    hi-lift 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 86
  • hi-lift 002.jpg
    hi-lift 002.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 85
  • hi-lift 003.jpg
    hi-lift 003.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 92
  • hi-lift 004.jpg
    hi-lift 004.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 92

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
bolted to downleg of roll bar. sorry about all background interference in photo

3X

I welded a small 3/8's bolt on the bottom and a longer one on top and put a nut on the back of it for adjustment so the jack is sitting strate with the bar and used the big wing nuts to hold it on. i love it there.

I got no pic of it and im in cali for a few days, but when i get home ill post one up.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Sorry, best pic I could find that shows where the Hi-Lift is mounted. Bolt welded to the cage with a spacer to keep the jack away from the cage. I made a foot with a pin to hold the bottom of the jack secure. Just unscrew a (large homemade) wingnut on the cage and it comes right out.

Attachments

• Jackie in the Bronco.jpg
    Jackie in the Bronco.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 245

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I mounted mine to the roll bar too. I did mine like the tech article by 66horse. Here's the LINK. It's simple and works great.

Attachments

• DSC01647.jpg
    DSC01647.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC01649.jpg
    DSC01649.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 110

matt w

Bronco Guru
I'm liking this thread!
In fact I was just at an event this weekend and won the grand prize!
A BRAND NEW CAST HI-LIFT...48 incher all sweet and pretty!
Sad I kinda like my old one that I have had for over 10 years.
.....I guess I will display the new one..%);D

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I'm liking this thread!
In fact I was just at an event this weekend and won the grand prize!
A BRAND NEW CAST HI-LIFT...48 incher all sweet and pretty!
Sad I kinda like my old one that I have had for over 10 years.
.....I guess I will display the new one..%);D

Good deal :cool:, somebody was trying to tell me that the 48" jack can only be used up to 36", and the 60" jack should only be used to 48". I don't get it, other than Hi-lift making a disclaimer to protect themselves from negligent operators. The 60" and the 48" are the same except for the 12" length diff. Is there something else I missed?

matt w

Bronco Guru
Good deal :cool:, somebody was trying to tell me that the 48" jack can only be used up to 36", and the 60" jack should only be used to 48". I don't get it, other than Hi-lift making a disclaimer to protect themselves from negligent operators. The 60" and the 48" are the same except for the 12" length diff. Is there something else I missed?

..Well I have had my 48 inch jack for over 10 years. I clean and lube it every year. I can't answer your question because I have not had to use it!:D;D

ALSO I have never heard that comment until the post you are refering too. AND why would they add those holes if it was a huge deal. they could easily change the design so that you can't go beyond the "cut-off" point if there are issues, I say it is to protect themselves.

I stickin with the 48 and trusting my Macgyver ingenuity;) to help me with that extra foot!...no worries on my part!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

...ALSO I have never heard that comment until the post you are refering too. AND why would they add those holes if it was a huge deal. they could easily change the design so that you can't go beyond the "cut-off" point if there are issues, I say it is to protect themselves.

Definitely to protect themselves. Any company would do it that way these days if they had any sense. And you're taking your life into your own hands if you try to use it as a jack all the way to the beam's limits. Except for those times when the sole purpose is to get it up high enough and flip it off the jack to move it sideways. Then you use it as far up as you need to, but chances are pretty good that under those circumstances nobody is hanging out beneath the truck while it's being jacked.
It's unstable enough as it is, without taking it to the limit. Sure, you can do it, and do it successfully too, but OF COURSE Hi-Lift is going to make that disclaimer. They haven't remained in business for over 100 years without having some common sense after all.
And, it's not just a jack.

These "farm-implements" can also be used as come-alongs and fence post pullers and fence wire stretchers and all sorts of other things. If you're using it as a come-along (manual winch) or a stretcher, you can easily push or pull things along most, if not all, of the length of the jack's beam. All without fear of having 5000 lbs of metal, plastic and rubber falling on your head. If they limited how far you could use it, then those other purposes would be limited too.
That's one reason they make the beams with holes all the way along, and no limiting constraints.
The other reasons are pretty common manufacturing reasons also. These are made from long forgings cut to size (at least 3 different sizes), and not individual bars made for a specific purpose, so they have evenly spaced holes right to the ends so that the jacks don't cost another 15 bucks apiece.
And limiting mechanisms would make it either more expensive, or more difficult to pull the head unit all the way off, or shorten the beam to a desired length for ease of mounting. When I sell them I personally like to recommend buying the 60" version, for those that can get away with more than 48", and cutting it down a few inches if it doesn't quite fit your mounts. That way you have more than the 48" version, but can still find a place for it if you have the room.

All basic stuff. So yeah, although they probably came up with those numbers long-before city folks started trying to sue them when their truck fell over, I'm sure that the lawyers in the CYA Department had something to say about those recommendations too.
These days is just does not make sense to do otherwise.

Paul