• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w and Np205 swap almost finished but need some guidance

Rem28ga

Okay
So the transmission and TC are in. I built the crossmember for the transfer case got it bolted up, ran new plumbing, added an extra trans cooler, purchased the Opti shift from Baumann, got the TPS sensor in and wired, but still need to finish wiring the controller in.

So today I started adding fluid to the trans. After about 9 quarts, it started to run out of the top breather port. Like I stated earlier I still need to finish wiring the controller, so I used a wire and jumped the neutral safety switch so I could bump the starter to get the pump to work to circulate the trans fluid. Nothing is moving or if it is very slowly. My question here is does the wiring need to be finished and the controller working for the pumps to work? Are they controled electronically? I know with the C4 it is mechanical and turning over the engine with activate the pump. I am hoping I do not have to pull the trans/TC!!! Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No wiring required. The pump is purely mechanical just like the C4. Break a cooler line open and see if fluid is flowing.

OP
OP
Rem28ga

Rem28ga

Does the bronco need to be running? I was just turning it over with the starter.

OP
OP
Rem28ga

Rem28ga

Thanks, I will fire it up tomorrow. I just have headers on it right now and was didn't want to piss the neighbors off. So I was just turning it over with the starter. I will not be the most liked guy in the neighborhood tomorrow!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Engine has got to run to really move the fluid. Took me several cycles through the gears and even a few days worth of driving around to fully work out all the air bubbles and get the fluid to stay at the full mark.

OP
OP
Rem28ga

Rem28ga

Well fired up the engine today and it down went the fluid. Added some more and down it went again. It is still a little high, but I still have not driven it. It wants to move when put in gear, but still not there yet. Having some problems with the wiring on my Baumann Opti-shift controller. WTF!!!

Tried several combinations and still no joy. Figured I had better do some research before going at it again. Me + Wiring = Bad Luck!!Anyone wired up a Baumann Optishift before?

I can't get it to start in park and then when I shift to neutral, the starter engages! I am sure it is something silly, but I have gone through the various combinations and can't seem to figure it out.

Right now the red fused wire is on the keyed ignition positive side of the starter relay. White 12v in run is also on this terminal.

White start relay wire is on the starter relay terminal closest to the battery post on the relay.

White 12v ignition wire is connected to the starter switch.

I am kind of at a loss. Any help or guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Right now the red fused wire is on the keyed ignition positive side of the starter relay. White 12v in run is also on this terminal.
Red goes to ignition switched power. 12V in RUN, 0V in OFF Same for backup light white wire.

White start relay wire is on the starter relay terminal closest to the battery post on the relay.

See below.

White 12v ignition wire is connected to the starter switch.

Yes, hot in START wire. Thats the red-blue wire at the switch. You'll need to cut it and connect the white IGN wire to the switch side of the red-blue. The start relay white wire goes to the other cut section of red-blue wire.

OP
OP
Rem28ga

Rem28ga

Forgot to mention I have the Centech wiring harness. My Main ignition wire at the switch is heavy gauge white.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's why I included the wire functions (hot in START, etc).