• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w Bauman Controller Programming

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
Im almost finished with my 4r70w swap and now I'm at the point of hooking up the Bauman controller to my laptop and setting up the shift points. Does anyone have any programming tips? Or tested programs saved? Im thinking of setting up 2 programs 1 for street and 1 for trail.
currently im running a 5.0 ford crate roller motor with ford EFI w/A9p computer 4:11 gears and 37s but thinking of going back to 35s.
Any tips, Help and advice is appreciated

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
The first thing to remember is to set your baseline throttle extents (voltages) - no throttle and full throttle. There is a way to do this in the program by just clicking a button when you have your foot in position (engine off, of course). I didn't do this first and my first test drive it was down shifting way too easily.

2nd, you want to have a fair amount of difference between when the trans down shifts and up-shifts between any two adjacent gears. The downshift curve should be below the up-shift curve. If they are too close, then the trans will hunt for the right gear for a given speed/throttle position.

Spend a little extra attention in the bottom throttle position area - it seemed to be easy to set the kickdown and other full-throttle shify points. However, normal driving will rely a lot on the bottom 3rd of the throttle position. So, get the top and bottom ends figured out, then make a straight connection between them. Adjust as needed from there.

HTH,

Eric

Amac70

ME
do you have the older bauman unit or a newer optishift? The optishift comes with multiple programs to start with. There should be a stockish tune that will get you rolling. Go for a drive then adjust from there. My only real tip would be to say you need to regear to at the very minimum 4.56 gears 5.13 would be better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pick an existing tune, change your gearing and tire specs.

One trick I did was give a set throttle input and hold it until it goes through all the gears. Note where it shifted and where it should have shifted. You can go into the table at that throttle position and adjust that point then smooth the lines on either side of it.

For full throttle short shift by a few hundred RPM. It will be corrected by the convertor slip.

If you are geared nice and low the 1st gear may be too low and annoying at times. On the street wanting to creep at traffic lights (especially with manual brakes) or on the trail in low range where it will want to shift into 2nd gear at 2 MPH. Set the 1-2 shift points for the first ~20% of the throttle range to 0 MPH. On the street you will sit at traffic lights in 2nd gear with much less creep force but as soon as you get on the throttle it drops into 1st (you won't even feel it). On the trail you will be rolling so quick that you will never get into 1st gear and never have to struggle with that 1-2 shift at all the wrong times. But not to worry, 1st is still there when you need it, just more the shifter into 1st and it will go and stay.

frdboy

Contributor
Subscribed.....I am planning on running the optishift as well.

OP
OP
J

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
Ive got the opti shift. I realize i have a gearing problem im having a hard time deciding on if i want to go to 35s or stay with the 37s and what gears to run with 35s or 37s.
Any input is appreciated

Thanks for the info

Last edited:

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
J Licks, try the search option. There are several threads that discuss gearing with the 4R70W. There are many variables that will factor in to find the best gearing choice for you including what engine you have and tire size. Good luck.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I had them load a standard Ford Explorer program in mine since that is essentially the motor / tranny combo I am using.

I doubt you will like the 4:11 gears with 37" or 35" tires.

The general rule of thumb with 5.0 is 4:88 gears with 33" tires and 5:13 gears with 35".

I recently re geared to 4:88 and love them and now it is time to start adjusting shift points.

I would suggest using a stock tune and driving it for a while to see how it feels to you based on your gearing and driving preferences.

OP
OP
J

J Licks

Loc.
Healdsburg
Thank you for all the good info i really appreciate it and also for pointing out that i now need to change gearing again more $$ :(. When i first started on this bronco (way back when) my first trans swap was going from the 3 on the tree to the np435 then when i added the gears and arbs i thought ill never change trans and with the low 1st gear i could get away with it so i went 4.11s then i got the bug. Suspension, cage, bumpers, 5.0, EFI, etc etc etc so on and so forth. Then i got lazy and wanted an auto started with a c4 and then wanted overdrive and now im here. But i love it and wouldnt change a thing (maybe the money part)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'll agree that more gear is better. 4.88s and 33s on the last one with a 4R70W.
Whenever someone is thinking of doing gears I always recommend doing just the rear axle first and taking it for a test drive. Once the ratio is correct in the rear, that is when you spend the money to get the front to match.