• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w burping fluid out the trans dip stick any ideas

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, any help with this is greatly appreciated

I have a 4r70w behind a fuel injected 5.0.
The trans has probably about 2,000 or less-miles on it .
Has worked great for 2 years no problems at all.fluid level is where it supposed to be.

The other day I back it out of the garage and drive to the end of the street, parked it back in the garage and the trans would still be cold, I drove it about 5 minutes. Shut it off went in the house

came back out about about 20 minutes later, good size puddle of very red Mercon v fluid on the floor. Thought a cooling line was leaking, but it was actually coming from the dip stick tube. Cleaned up the mess, then started the motor you could hear the air pressure coming from the dip stick tube opened it and a large amount of fluid burped out and eventually went down. The the trans is still cold at this point.

I drove it the day before this about 30 miles without an issue.

So now you am thinking it’s the vent on the trans, can those clog that quick all of a sudden, to cause this?

Any ideas are appreciated
Thanks

75MIKE

Loc.
NE Washington
I had a tranny cooler line get pinched one time and blew fluid out the vent on the transmission. Not sure if it was caused by pressure building up or excessive heat since the fluid wasn't moving through the cooler. Might be worth pulling the cooler lines off and make sure fluid can travel through it.

Of course, might need to check the vent isn't stuck closed, as well.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
double checked lines and there good
Thanks

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks bowser, that’s what I’m thinking
Can the vent s all of a sudden clog like that?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Vents either vent or they don't. Just like a fuel filter... flows gas till it doesn't flow gas. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I’ve had mud dobbers plug vents, they like filling holes full of mud and make nests everywhere lol
Was thinking of the same thing. I had to deal with one of those on a boat dock bubbler once. Everything looked perfect, intake tube was mud packed from insects.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I’ve had mud dobbers plug vents, they like filling holes full of mud and make nests everywhere lol
They are great at plugging gas appliance orfices, lights etc in trailers, RV's, etc.