• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70w Fluid Capacity Question

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm finishing up a 4R70w conversion while I'm also adding a Holley Sniper unit. How much fluid can I add to this completely dry, rebuilt transmission, I want to add as much trans fluid as possible before I start the engine.

My sense is that the engine will need to adapt to the Sniper while the computer is in its adjustment period.....all while I'm trying to bring the trans. fluids up to capacity.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
6 or 7 quarts will be a good start. It will be several inches up the dipstick tube. It will be enough to get oil into the pump and sprayed around. Probably another 2-3 quarts as soon as it is running. Not drivable at this point, but the pump will be moving more oil than air and the convertor will be filling nicely. Start reading the dipstick, go through the gears and check again. All those empty cavities in the transmission will take a few cycles to really fill so you can get a good reading. After the first lap around the block check again. Keep checking as you make longer and longer drives. I know it took forever and pretty much a case of oil before I finally got a stable full reading.

latrucker

Contributor
I just finished this swap as well. I did one in the converter and 6 in the trans before cranking. 5 more once it was running for a total of 12. Rides in the middle of the cross hatches between full and add for 2 weeks now.