• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w holding first

BanditBronco

Running a 4r using the PCS Simple Shift controller and I can't seem to get the trans to hold first. If I shift the gear selector all the way into (1) and accelerate it will eventually shift into second. It seems to "hunt" between 1st and 2nd if I put it in (1) If I put it in (2) it seems to shift 2-3 okay. Anyone with a 4r have experience with crawling and holding first? Stock Valve body, first opinion I received seemed to think that the 4r stock configuration wasn't capable of holding 1st. is this true or do I have something wrong I need to track down?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First off, not familer with PCS simple shift. Do you have a link to what you are running?

Sounds like the shifts are still commanded. shifting into 1 manual does not guarantee 1st gear. Mechanically it still requires a computer command for 1st. This is to prevent idiot damage by pulling the shifter into 1st at highway speeds. You get 2nd gear with no engine braking, you can bounce off the rev limiter, but the transmission will not drive the engine into an overspeed condition. If the computer is saying shift to 2nd gear it will override the manual lever saying stay in 1st. But manual first (with computer command for 1st) is the only way to get 1st gear engine braking.

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm not familiar with that shift controller but you might want to see if there is a setting that lets it shift to 2nd if the RPMs get to a certain level. This would be to protect against over revving.

OP
OP
BanditBronco

BanditBronco

https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...roducts/Simple_Shift_Transmission_Controller/

Let me rephrase this, or ask a different question. Anyone that has purchased an explorer donor put the gear selector in (1) and try and rip the tires off it before? Stock explorer, will it hold 1st if the gear selector is in first?

According to PCS it isn't a controller issue that it won't hold 1st. I called before posting. I am just trying to confirm that a stock 4r won't hold a gear that is selected.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's been almost 10 years since I last drove a stock 4R70W. Pretty sure it would let you bounce it off the limiter.

Read through the instructions. They make it hard to tell what gear is commanded. Count the blinks on one of two LED lights. Probably going to have to probe the shift solenoids (I forget which one you need) to see what the actual output is.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't know about the PCS, been years since I've driven a stock 4r70W... but I do know that the "new" US Shift Quick4 makes you manually choose during setup to over-ride the program so the trans won't automatically shift from 1st to 2nd to keep the engine from over-reving... I have a good rev limter on mine so I chose the "keep engaged" in 1st gear box.

OP
OP
BanditBronco

BanditBronco

Kinda what I thought. I didn't figure it would 1-2 shift if gear selected (1) I plan on running this down as much as I can with PCS before they tell me to figure it out for myself.

Thanks for the input. I will keep everyone updated, till I am popping revs in first.

OP
OP
BanditBronco

BanditBronco

Ran this down some more yesterday with PCS. From what they are telling me, the 4r70w has 7 detents in the shift lever. I am currently only using 6. I am running a c4 style winters shifter that is a PRN321 where (3) is Drive. I was always under the impression that overdrive (4th gear) was electronically controlled by the computer and didn't have a detent on the shift lever. I adjusted my shifter with the pan off so I could be sure that I was hitting every detent spot on, so it would surprise me if I missed one entirely. So to sum it up, they are telling me that I am in second when I actually think I am in first if I manually shift down into (1).

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are wrong. This is NOT a 4L60E. There are only 6 detents. PRN(OD)21 is all it comes with. OD cancel is a button on the end of the shifter. When I did the stroker 5.0 and 4R70W (with a Bauman controller) in my ranger I had to change the detent plate in the column and the shifter display from the A4LD 7-detent PRN(OD)D21 to the 4R70W PRN(OD)21 setup. Making it all factory looking was tricky. I remember that. I don't remember what I did for the OD cancel on that truck, I think it was a switch on the console.

I am getting more and more not impressed with PCS.

The only thing I can think of is if the MLPS is mis adjusted. If neutral safety and reverse lights work correctly, it is adjusted correctly.

They do offer a cable and computer software that I am sure will actually tell you what is going on. But they want an extra $2k for that.

MonsterBIlly

^^^^broncobowsher is correct. It has the same pattern as the c4. With the us shift, i can adjust 1st or 2nd manual to hold. I have nessed around with shift points on mine. I have as good as i can get. But still want to take it to a shop and have it dialed in.
I have 4.88s with 37s. I wish i had just a little lower gear like 5.13s. That small difference would keep my rpms about perfect on the highway as well.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My buddy runs the 4r70w in his. It’s controlled by the stock Explorer ECU, holds 1st, holds second. Just like a C4. Operated by a Winters shifter. OD, on and off is a momentary switch on the dash.

Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can put a couple of low power LED indicator lights on the shift solenoids. Remember they always have power going to them, the computer applies the ground.
Now you can see if the computer is commanding a shift (which I am sure it is). There are 2 shift solenoids. I forget which one does which, but I know the pattern. One solenoid is 1st gear, no solenoids is 2nd, the other solenoid is 3rd, both is 4th.