• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w or aod?

Bronco gold

4r70w out of 99 explorer better than finding an
Aod? I have the whole explorer and wanted to use the engine and matching tranny was told it's to long and not ideal in the 69 bronco with a lift.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Plenty of people on here have used that engine transmission combo, it is not too long.
There isn't much length difference between the 4R70W and the AOD.
The same computer that controls the 5.0 Explorer EFI also controls the 4R70W transmission.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 4R70W is the better transmission, if that's what you're asking...lot's of guys on here running them with stock wheelbase rigs. How much lift are we talking about?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Those trans' are both 1 1/2" longer than a stock trans. The 4r70w has a much better gear ratio selection than the AOD. And the list of pros with the 4r70w just goes on and on compared to the AOD. Both need the adapter to the D20, the extra cost would be the stand alone controller. But even that is worth the money over considering the Aod.

Mark

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I run both and they both have their own pros and cons. I will say the 4R is far more forgiving after the fact as tuning it is all electronic outside of a decent rebuild and internal upgrades that should be completed etc. The AOD is going to be more affordable as you do not have to buy a controller for it, less the controller, both transmissions to be rebuilt and adapted to the D20 are relatively about the same in cost. The AOD will require you to do all of your homework first so you pick the correct hard components to change so it is strong enough for your use. I know some claim the gearing is better in the 4R however unless you are crawling it on the rocks, I seriously doubt most would actually be aware of the difference, not meaning it is noticeable by sound but by feel if both are built right its not as hugely significant in a daily driver or mild off road vehicle that I would warrant my sole decision based on that alone. The old school of thought was to upgrade the OD drum to the 4R to gain more surface area but with the advent of affordable kevlar bands and using the proper application servo along with boosted line pressure you can achieve sufficient clamping force without having to create a Frankenstein transmission, the aftermarket has addressed many of the old issues to date. That being said, if I was building a vehicle that would see deep water, harsh environment use I would opt for the AOD, mechanical is always better for harsh environment and reliability whereas electrical systems if not sealed perfectly can become problematic around those conditions. If you do not want to take the time, and it will be a lot of pre planning, it would be better to go for the 4R since after the fact, any adjustments to its driving characteristics can be resolved with a few clicks of a mouse whereas the AOD would require internal changes in the valve body or tail shaft to change spring pressures etc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since he is starting with an Explorer that already has a controller for the transmission (built into the engine computer) there is nothing extra needed for him. It is already a complete package. There is also the AOD's fininkiness for getting the TV adjustment just right. Even if the 4R70W looses all power, you still have park, reverse, neutral, and 2nd gear.

OP
OP
B

Bronco gold

That info was exactly what I was looking for, wasn't sure if I'd run into a problem with a 5.5 lift long travel. Now for the next question.
To get away from using an adapter will a 205 fit in between the frame with exhaust?

goldstar

Loc.
ronkonkoma
trans

it does fit but you have to get a clock ring for it so the drivers side drops down a bit but with a 5.5 lift you should have no worries in height. I rewelded the tranny mounts on the frame upside down and moidfied the crossmember to fit the 4R tranny mount. if i can find some pics i will post them