• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w require body lift?

Pflyboy

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
For those of you running a car 5.0 and 4r70w combo, what kind of clearances do you have? I'd like to go without a body lift, and maybe a cowl induction hood for the engine clearance.

Thanks!

Nick

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Not sure if it requires it but it certainly makes it easier to work on. There is so little space as is. As for the 5.0 you basically get more options of intakes.

The drawback is of course when you lift it you end up with a gap between the bumper and the body which is very visible. I got bumpers that accommodate the gaps.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I ran one without a body lift. But I had to bubble the floor between the seats for transfer case clearance. An inch of body lift would make things much nicer.

Crawl under the rig and look a the transfer case. It has to come about 3" straight back. That crossmember under the floor is in the way along with a little bit of the floor itself.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yea, the trans clears the floor. It is the transfer case moving back that causes the interference issues.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I have a 1 inch body lift and mine clears ok. No problems but I would like more clearance for my NP205. The downside I guess would be steeper drive shaft angles if I did raise it. I think i have some pictures in my build thread (signature below)
Dennis