• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w tranny cooler question

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I have had my 4r70w on an external cooler with fan. I just upgraded my alternator to a V Belt 3g and now I get belt squeal alot when my accessory fans (tranny and power steering) are running along with my electric Cherokee fan. IF I turn all the accessories off, I lose the sqeal. My question is this: How many people are using the radiator ONLY for their cooler. Have you had any problems?

If this goes the way I am hoping, I will run the tranny through the radiator (Griffen Aluminum) and put the power steering cooler in front of the radiator that way I only have to run one fan. (Doesnt squeal with only one fan running).

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Tighten the belt dude.....and do not run trans through radi. Just my .o2

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Other alternatives are to just get a bigger diameter pulley for the alternator or run the PS fluid through the radiator cooler or both.

OP
OP
Kyle.malone

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Other alternatives are to just get a bigger diameter pulley for the alternator or run the PS fluid through the radiator cooler or both.

With being full hydro steering (single ended ram) and hydroboost, do you think the radiator will keep the power steering cool enough if I just run it through the radiator? This way I can delete both aux fans and can place the tranny cooler in front of the radiator and only use one fan.

malonejy

Bronco Guru
The only way I get could my squeal to go away was with a 2 groove alt pulley. I'm running dual electric fans on the radiator and the fan on external tranny cooler. Before I switched over, I had the belt so tight I was tearing up the overdrive aluminum water pump pulley.

Heat is the nemesis of auto trannies so make sure you're cooling it good and then address the squeal.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Kyle, I am running 351W and ran into heat issues when I ran the trans through the radiator. Both engine and trans were always happy separate with trans always 150-180 and engine always at 180. As soon as I connected the two I found both were reaching 200+ and I had to control the trans heat with converter lockup and the engine with my heater both on and off road. As soon as I reverted back to having them separate, all was well.

I know you are running 331 but I would expect you to have similar issues. Many will say 200 is not bad at all but a jump in temp like that does not make me happy and I firmly believe a cool trans is a happy trans, especially after what we have paid to install the 4R70W.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Belt is as tight as it will go..

Did you use a crowbar?

I was thinking about using my trans fanned/cooler on my P/S now you got me trying to figure out where it would go into the hydrboost system I get a lil whine out of it during some of those trails like tex winder so I know its getting hot....my P/S has no cooling and I have this nice cooler sitting here.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
With being full hydro steering (single ended ram) and hydroboost, do you think the radiator will keep the power steering cool enough if I just run it through the radiator? This way I can delete both aux fans and can place the tranny cooler in front of the radiator and only use one fan.

I think it would. It will put some heat into the motor though, just like a cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
3G are known for squeal with a single V-belt. Simply too much power for what the belt can deliver. Twin V-belt or serpentine are the correct fix. Tighter is NOT the answer. You will smoke the alternator and/or water pump bearings doing that. Overly tightened belts can even cause #1 main bearing wear.

Now for running rad alone for a 4R70W cooler. I would not advise it. I played with several cooler configurations until I got one that I was happy with. The Baumann was great at letting me watch the trans temp. Rad alone dumps a lot of heat into the cold water leaving the trans, not great for engine cooling. But I do like to see the rad cooler used, as small as it is there is tremendous amounts of heat transfer potential with it being a fluid on fluid cooler.

But I never ran an electric fan on the trans cooler. Just hung the cooler at the top of the radiator and let the engine fan pull air over it. Used the water rad cooler as a back up to the air cooler.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I have been running my 4R70W into the radiator cooler and then out to an stacked plate style aux cooler mounted in front of radiator.

I have an Explorer motor with the stock clutched steel fan without a shroud.

So far, no problems with engine or tranny overheating.

I think the warmest the tranny has ever gotten was 195 after a long hiway run on a hot day.

Having said that, I plan to add a shroud soon as summers in CO seem to be getting warmer and warmer.

I may also eliminate the current aux cooler in favor of the Derale cooler with the thermostatically controlled electric fan so I can keep it cool on the trail even when it is hot as hell in the summer.