• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4 half working

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Because you're not actually in 4 low ? Just because the shift lever says you are doesn't neccesarily make it true .
Have someone shift into 4 low while you're underneath look at the shift rails, is the low range rail moving?

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is kind of a false detent that could be considered 2Low, roughly halfway between N and 4L. I'm wondering if you are just not fully engaging 4L with the lever all the way forward (T shifter anyway).

OP
OP
dansrevenge

dansrevenge

1966 Manual 3-spd Transmission - RAN, V8
I,m thinking I should make sure its fully engaging 2 low........
thanks for the help, I,ll check tonight.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
1966 Manual 3-spd Transmission - RAN, V8
I,m thinking I should make sure its fully engaging 2 low........
thanks for the help, I,ll check tonight.

Yeah the way your transfer case shifter is on a 66', straight stick with a knob on the top, from the dash towards the seats is 4L N 2H 4H. There's a "spot" between 4L and N that the shifter will fall into also, like 2L. I believe there was a dash decal at one point that had that pic on there, and said don't drive in 2L, I'll see if I can find a pic.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sometimes a body lift keeps the shifter from moving the full throw

OP
OP
dansrevenge

dansrevenge

You guys were correct!
It was in the unmarked 2 wheel low spot.
Thanks for the help!

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I find that " 2 low" is pretty handy. Ford says don't drive in 2 low ; might be too much torque on one set of gears but there are many instances where I just shift into 2 low for a couple of feet . There's one spot behind my house where I park nose down and to get out have to backup and turn a little at the same time. This is one of the reasons I like my twin stick shifters ; just shove 1 lever forward .