• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 box build clarification

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I have both boxes cleaned and ready to disassemble. I’ve read the WCB instructions a few times and I need some clarification on step 7. More than likely I’m over complicating this because I have not taken the boxes apart yet. I’m sure once I do it will become clearer.

The highlighted sentences have me a little confused. I rotate the piston assembly on the worm gear until it touches the housing and then install the housing/worm gear/piston into the box without rotating it? What would cause it to rotate? I’ll be doing this tonight so maybe it will become clear at that point. I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up.

Capture_zpsd1fea185.jpg

Is this correct?
Capture1_zps3fbafb7b.jpg

70_Steve

Old Guy
I have both boxes cleaned and ready to disassemble. I’ve read the WCB instructions a few times and I need some clarification on step 7. More than likely I’m over complicating this because I have not taken the boxes apart yet. I’m sure once I do it will become clearer.

The highlighted sentences have me a little confused. I rotate the piston assembly on the worm gear until it touches the housing and then install the housing/worm gear/piston into the box without rotating it? What would cause it to rotate? I’ll be doing this tonight so maybe it will become clear at that point. I want to make sure I don’t mess anything up.
Yes, overcomplicating it...

I think the whole point of that "inserting without rotating" thing is that, at this point I believe the sector shaft is not installed. You want the straight teeth on the piston to be parallel to the sector shaft, so the sector shaft will install easily. There's nothing that will try to rotate the piston as you install it. Just get it going in straight and you should be OK.

Side note: The seal area of my sector shaft was pitted badly. I think the WCB instructions say you can smooth that out using a little super glue. I wanted something a little more substantial, so I used good old JB Weld. I used a utility knife blade to smooth the JB Weld around the shaft, then rotated it a bit as it cured to maintain the coating thickness around the shaft. After curing I used some 240, 600 and 1200 paper to smooth it all down. It's been in for a year and no leaks!

OP
OP
JSmall

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Figured I was over thinking the process :)

Thanks for the clarification

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
The piston can spin on the worm gear shaft because its threaded. The weight of the piston will easly make it spin off the worm gear if allowed to do so. If it spins all the way off the balls get screwed up and you have to do a bit more involved rebuild (which i would do anyways so you can replace some of the seals).

Its not a big deal just after you pull the sector shaft and your pulling the other assembly out (pictured above) dont let it spin and same on the reinstallation into the 4X4 box.

pull the 4X4 box apart first that way you can see how it works and if you screw it up it dont matter because it ends up in the trash anyways!;)