• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 Box fittings by Earls

davebb

I guess maybe the box I got is not like usual but I got the Earls P/S adapter fittings and they screw into the box but bottom out before the flare seats. I can't get any answer from where I bought them so I ordered 2 more that look longer. I'm thinking maybe that I can flare some tubing and then cut the flare off of the tube and use it as a spacer. Anyone had this problem? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OjdMy1uULrPI3LHeSeb61_G1pKnnk0eB/view?usp=sharing

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Following.
But not understanding your potential fix. You mean put a flare underneath the flared fitting? So that you essentially have a flare pressing against a flare? That does not sound like a good solution to me. Might cause more trouble than it's worth.
If that's what you meant anyway. Certainly not an expert in all things hydraulic, so I can't say for certain. Just that it doesn't "feel" right when rolling around in my head.

Post up comparison pics of the new ones. And if they work or not!

Good luck.

paul

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've never had that problem - don't recall the brand I used but yours are definitely too short. Try another brand and don't attempt your spacer idea.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
D

davebb

If you're going to earls why not just make the right hoses instead of adapters
That's another can of worms that I haven't learned how to accomplish. I was coached to use the fittings that can be reused.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Post up a location. If there's beer in the fridge you could probably get someone local to help with assembly.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That adapter fitting does not look right. I just went down and took a pic of one of the ones I stock; Aeroquip inverted flare adapter.

IMG_2636[1].JPG

OP
OP
D

davebb

That adapter fitting does not look right. I just went down and took a pic of one of the ones I stock; Aeroquip inverted flare adapter.

View attachment 884371
That Aeroquip one looks like it has 6 threads and a longer tip extension where the flare is. The one I have has only 5 threads and a shorter tip. So if the new ones I ordered don't work I'll be looking for the Aeroquip ones.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Bill's look like I would expect those adapters to look.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
D

davebb

Following.
But not understanding your potential fix. You mean put a flare underneath the flared fitting? So that you essentially have a flare pressing against a flare? That does not sound like a good solution to me. Might cause more trouble than it's worth.
If that's what you meant anyway. Certainly not an expert in all things hydraulic, so I can't say for certain. Just that it doesn't "feel" right when rolling around in my head.

Post up comparison pics of the new ones. And if they work or not!

Good luck.

paul
The new blue one looks like it'll work. I'll try it tomorrow.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PfkOxZUSNUthhB1j4-X058Ci_pXejBKE/view?usp=sharing

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Be sure the new blue one is steel. I’ve not seen a steel fitting that’s blue. Most color fittings are aluminum.

Eugene

OP
OP
D

davebb

Be sure the new blue one is steel. I’ve not seen a steel fitting that’s blue. Most color fittings are aluminum.

Eugene
What have you got against aluminum. I haven't had trouble except for galling in the past. It is aluminum.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nothing against aluminum fitting except been told by hydro guys to use steel fittings on high pressure ps system. Return side is fine. Now i’d assume the 1/2” is high pressure side. I could be wrong and someone will correct me.

Eugene

OP
OP
D

davebb

Nothing against aluminum fitting except been told by hydro guys to use steel fittings on high pressure ps system. Return side is fine. Now i’d assume the 1/2” is high pressure side. I could be wrong and someone will correct me.

Eugene
Thanks for the heads up about aluminum. While I was searching to find what sae standard these fittings are made to, I found this which was good enough for me. So I ordered the steel ones after a long search to find them. Summit has them.
" These new fittings are made w/ slightly longer threads on the inverted flare end of the fittings. In some applications, the old-style fittings would bottom out on the threads before the flare would seal correctly. The Steel adapters are recommended for Power Steering applications, and the aluminum fittings are ideal for most other inverted flare applications. Choose from fittings w/ nickel-plated steel, blue anodized aluminum, or black anodized aluminum." From https://www.holley.com/products/plu...tion_adapters/inverted_flare/parts/991946LERL

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might have something to do with the constant but hard to feel sometimes, vibrations associated with a hydraulic system.
Between the tensions put on the hoses not only from the fluid pressure, but from being under the hood in general and usually pushing up against somethingorother and having those things push back, the heat and cooling, and the high-frequency vibrations, the aluminum might not stand up over the long haul.
I think they can initially take most of the pressure (they're used in brake systems, correct?), but I'm not sure about that. Give them a bit of a life under the hood, and they might weaken and crack.

Is that the same as "work hardening" or something similar?

paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lots of aircraft running aluminum fittings on their hydraulics but the pressures are usually lower. The aluminum ones are susceptible to being over tightened stressing the threads then combined with the hydraulic stresses fail, the threads strip. Seen several hydraulic fires from a stripped aluminum fitting leaking on a header. I think they are fine for fuel and most transmissions. High pressure and use Steering systems, not so much. That’s my thoughts anyway

mtp71174

i have a 4x4x2 steering box and ordered fittings from B C Bronco to plumb my gear box the power side is a inverted flare with s 90 degree to a an 6 braided line fitting the low pressure line is a brass fitting that is a invert flare with a nipple for a rubber hose and clamp because lines point to the frame I clearenced a slot in the frame for the high pressure line to clear the line if you wish contact me at 734 818 9225 and i might be able to text pics

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
And FYI if anyone needs some of these fittings and are already ordering other items from WH, we have most of what you need for these custom steering systems as well.

Great shop for sure I typically hit TB oFf road first