• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Efi conversion w/AOD

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
I am putting a 1990 5.0 Efi and AOD in a 76 Bronco. I don't have enough room for the radiator and fan. Should I change to the Explorer/Mountainer front brackets and accessories or is there another option? What has everyone else done? Please email pics if you can. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I am putting a 1990 5.0 Efi and AOD in a 76 Bronco. I don't have enough room for the radiator and fan. Should I change to the Explorer/Mountainer front brackets and accessories or is there another option? What has everyone else done? Please email pics if you can. Thanks any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you using the Mustang Serp set up? What you describe should work, clearance will be tight, you need to use an aftermarket reverse rotation fan (18" I think...) You will have to shave down the spacer and there will be about 1 inch of clearance with the factory rad and shroud, with a 1/4" clearance between the tensioner and the back of the fan. Thats what I had in my 75...

There would be alot more room if you went to the Explorer set up...

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i just did this swap and and used the mustang serp setup with a derale fan, 1/2" spacer, factory shroud with some work to fit and a 4.0 explorer radiator. works fine and has plenty of room. looks just like the factory did it.
007-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

011-2.jpg

OP
OP
R

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
I only have about 6" of clearance from the front of the water pump to the back of the radiator support. Is that about what you guys were working with? If I try the 18" fan is the explorer radiator going to work with the AOD and the stock lines, or did you use external transmission coolers and build new lines?

Marty, I see your power steering pump is mounted where the A/c compressor was. What kind of pump did you use and how did you change/modify your brackets?

I've been wrestling with these problems for a long time, thanks very much for everyones help!

Last edited:

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Options
1) with a standard 3 row ( 2.25 inch) EB radiator it can be made to fit tightly with a proper fan and spacer
2) Cut the core support and move the radiator forward ( you can get about an inch to 1 1/4 inches this way)
3) Use Exploder serp setup.

4) Build something using a different radiator/core support
Tom

OP
OP
R

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
I just found out the explorer serp. is not an option. Since I live in wonderful California I have to pass smog. Explorers don't have a smog pump.

Does anyone know the difference between the explorer 4.0 and 5.0 radiators?

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
I only have about 6" of clearance from the front of the water pump to the back of the radiator support. Is that about what you guys were working with? If I try the 18" fan is the explorer radiator going to work with the AOD and the stock lines, or did you use external transmission coolers and build new lines?

Marty, I see your power steering pump is mounted where the A/c compressor was. What kind of pump did you use and how did you change/modify your brackets?

I've been wrestling with these problems for a long time, thanks very much for everyones help!
i used a saginaw/delphi pump from a marine engine with the serp pulley installed already. i purchased a bc broncos bracket by accident from what i remember and just made it work with some small spacers and i then made a rear bracket out of some miscillaneous brackets i had around the shop that i could weld up to work.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I just found out the explorer serp. is not an option. Since I live in wonderful California I have to pass smog. Explorers don't have a smog pump.
That doesn't matter. The presence of a smog pump is only required for older catalytic converters. Modern replacements contain chemicals that store Oxygen from lean exhaust and use it to clean rich exhaust, so no 2ndry air (smog) pump is required. Get new cats, keep the engine well-tuned, and you should pass the sniffer. You'll never pass a visual, but no inspector will know what should be under your hood anyway. Not even Ford could tell you what they put there 40 years ago.