• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Explorer swap progress, suggestions and help

papy

Contributor
Hello fellow Bronco members,

it has been just over 4 months since i last turned a wrench on my 67 bronco with the 5.0 explorer swap. Come summer i put a halt on my personal projects as i have loads of activities (camping, hunting & outdoors) and the summer months being busy at work. Gotta balance everything out, Thank god for the LONG cold Alberta winters that keep me in the garage working on the 67 :)

here is where i am at with the project.

rolling chassis almost done.i will have everything buttoned up by the end of winter and have the body rolling in to start on the sheet metal work.

i am sending the engine/trans harness to Garry EFI guy on Monday. i have decided and will be deleting the explorer EGR elbow and evap system entirely.

PS not sure why i cant rotate the pics?

my questions moving forward are as follows

1. Do i have to modify the intake and or anything else on the engine in order for everything to function properly when i delete the EGR and evap? like vacuum lines and what not? its been over 5+ months since i stripped the 5.0 out of the explorer and removed all the electrical, vacuum lines and everything. i am having a hard time remembering what is what and where everything goes.

2. has anyone experienced any troubles with the engine running with the EGR and evap removed?

Gonna need some help with this guys/gals.

any and all information including pics would be great.

1967, 3.5WH lift, 1" body lift, 5.0 explorer, AX15, Dana20

Attachments

• 67 bronc 1.jpg
    67 bronc 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 67 bronc 2.jpg
    67 bronc 2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 97

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
What year Explorer motor?
96 you will need to plug the exhaust source which comes from the heads... Plug the hole on the lower manifold.
97-01 Exhaust source is external from the Pass side exhaust manifold. You just have to plug the hole on the manifold.

I run the EGR so I can't answer the question on how it runs with it deleted.

Evap on my 98 motor in my former 68 bronco was removed, but I retained a charcoal canister for the tank.

My last two Explorer conversions (01 and 96) Garry added a purge solenoid set up like on a Fox body Mustang, which I attached to the CC like in a Mustang.
It needs a vacuum source from the upper manifold.

Upper manifold mods: 1st Pic 96 manifold, 2nd pic later manifold with preheats, 3rd Pic suggested plugs for vacuum connections...

Attachments

• Upper manifold.jpg
    Upper manifold.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 54
  • Upper manifold preheat.jpg
    Upper manifold preheat.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Upper Manifold plugs.JPG
    Upper Manifold plugs.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
my explorer motor is from a 96. i will have to get some to post some pictures when the time comes for me to install the upper intake and holes that need to be plugged on the heads/intake

why did you choose to run the EGR? just curious.

i just sent my harness to Garry. I will decide about the charcoal canister when it comes time for Garry to start working on my harness.

its been so longs since i took the engine components off the 5.0 and i forgot where everything goes. anyhow with help from members im sure it wont be too hard to get it up an running, hopefully lol

What year Explorer motor?
96 you will need to plug the exhaust source which comes from the heads... Plug the hole on the lower manifold.
97-01 Exhaust source is external from the Pass side exhaust manifold. You just have to plug the hole on the manifold.

I run the EGR so I can't answer the question on how it runs with it deleted.

Evap on my 98 motor in my former 68 bronco was removed, but I retained a charcoal canister for the tank.

My last two Explorer conversions (01 and 96) Garry added a purge solenoid set up like on a Fox body Mustang, which I attached to the CC like in a Mustang.
It needs a vacuum source from the upper manifold.

Upper manifold mods: 1st Pic 96 manifold, 2nd pic later manifold with preheats, 3rd Pic suggested plugs for vacuum connections...

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I'm just starting this Explorer 5.0/4R70W swap in my '68 project. Just got the '97 engine/transmission assembly home. I've emailed Garry and I'm on the waiting list to send my harness to him.
Subscribed!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Personal preference to run EGR, I think it runs better and a little cleaner. But it is a pain in the A** to keep the Elbow...

That's why I went with a Mustang set up on my 67 with the 96 motor... 70mm EGR spacer, with the 65mm Explorer TB, converted the swing arm on the butterfly shaft to a Mustang arm. Can use Mustang bracket and accelerator cable. Only works with a 96 motor which has internally supplied egr...

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_154819851.jpg
    IMG_20190629_154819851.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 53

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Only works with a 96 motor which has internally supplied egr...

Ford started putting the exhaust gas fitting on the exhaust manifold before they ran out of intake manifolds with the EGR passages, so that is not entirely true. Normally they do use up all the old parts first, but not for Explorer EGR.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Ford started putting the exhaust gas fitting on the exhaust manifold before they ran out of intake manifolds with the EGR passages, so that is not entirely true. Normally they do use up all the old parts first, but not for Explorer EGR.

Good to know, never have seen one out in the Wreaking yards.

Ford must have a part number for a Exh manifold port plug then?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Good to know, never have seen one out in the Wreaking yards.

Ford must have a part number for a Exh manifold port plug then?

They changed the exhaust manifold from one that did not have a port and fitting to one that did.
They changed the elbow from one that had a passage for exhaust to one that did not.

The upper and lower stayed the same for a few years, and the early type can be used with a Mustang EGR set-up.

Attachments

• early-internal.jpg
    early-internal.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 32
  • late-external.jpeg
    late-external.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 27

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes, early 97's could have 96 style upper and lower plenums, but utilize external sourced EGR gases.

And you can tell early and late by the open space that appears on the later castings between the runners.