• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0L 302 EFI swap

19Bronco66

Loc.
SLC
Stuffing a 5.0 320 out of a Licoln Mark VII in my '66. I have the entire car. I am concerned about the wiring. Can I utilize the Mark VII's wiring harness with the engine in the Bronco, or do I have to buy a new harness?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Seems there was a similar discussion going on in another forum regarding this swap.;) (Question was a little different though) Yes, the harness can be made to work with a bit of research. Several of us have taken stock harnesses and used them for our swaps. (Mine originally came out of a 90 Crown Vic) Check the EFI article out that is in the tech. section here (Left side of the page scroll down and select more tech.). Then jump over to http://fordfuelinjection.com and read what Ryan has over there. Follow this with the Probst Ford EFI book which gives more detailed descriptions, troubleshooting, and the necessary wiring diagram to modify the harness.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
19Bronco66 said:
Stuffing a 5.0 320 out of a Licoln Mark VII in my '66. I have the entire car. I am concerned about the wiring. Can I utilize the Mark VII's wiring harness with the engine in the Bronco, or do I have to buy a new harness?

We put the engine from a Crown Vic in my nephews EB. We used the engine harness from the crown vicand mated it to his harness. The aftermarket harnesses make the job easier and cleaner, but they aren't required.
Tom

jimmyhat

SaddleUp said:
Seems there was a similar discussion going on in another forum regarding this swap.;) (Question was a little different though) Yes, the harness can be made to work with a bit of research. Several of us have taken stock harnesses and used them for our swaps. (Mine originally came out of a 90 Crown Vic) Check the EFI article out that is in the tech. section here (Left side of the page scroll down and select more tech.). Then jump over to http://fordfuelinjection.com and read what Ryan has over there. Follow this with the Probst Ford EFI book which gives more detailed descriptions, troubleshooting, and the necessary wiring diagram to modify the harness.

This has to be worth millions this link thank YOU VERY much!

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I used a mark vii as a donor for my efi swap, the wiring harness in the Mark VII is a lot more complex than a mustang or a crown vic. The EFI harness is bundled w/ the lights, ABS, Air ride suspension, and who knows what else. It can be done, but is much more involved than the other cars. Just to give you an idea the engine harness goes out on one fender and under the radiator and then back the other fender to hit every thing around the engine. After starting to modify the harness I had so many splices that I decided for reliability sake to get Ryan's harness. I have modified and used two mustang harnesses on other efi swaps with little hassle, but the Mark VII is completly diffrent.
Also the mark vii's uses a large body 1g alternator and external voltage regulator. Which isn't a problem just plan accordingly. The alt. bracket is diffrent than a mustang, but still works. I run a small body 3G and made a bracket to make it fit in the larger bracket.

jimmyhat

i will be using the steering pump off the mustangs for time being definatley looking at a hydroboost found a wicked link http://www.azbronco.org/tech11.htm on this subject...
So may be changing shortly afterwards to a Saginaw pump.

First things first though its a older eb ford with the inner guts of a 90 mustang so im going all out new gauges new HID lights all of it im screwing away any old wiring harness in the eb ford that i can. Just plain and simply using all of the mustangs electrical. Its too bad i could not use the instrument gauge out of the mustang... I think its just ugly would look nasty in the dash/ thus running the autometer white panel ones!