• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.4 Lightning Crate Motor

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
I saw a site advertising 2003 5.4 Lightning crate motors complete with supercharger for $4800.00. I didn't know Ford was even offering these. Is this a better option than the GT-40 crate motor for $3400.00
Are there any Lightning motors popping up in the boneyards? What Price?
lightningblock.jpg

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
The very first day I came to this site my FIRST post was weather a 4.6 DOHC would fit in a Bronco. I was told no go. I still may try one at some point , I think I can fabricate just about anything and if the air suspension in my Mark V111 keeps acting up , I'm going to have the perfect donor engine / wiring harness ;D Thats if I don't set the thing on fire first ;)

74bronc

Bronco Guru
This has been gone over quite a few times. Seeing as the new modular Ford motors are wider than a Ford Big Block, it would be quite a challenge to get it stuffed under the hood. I am a firm believer that anything is possible and it would definitely be cool, just not the easiest swap in the world. If I had tons of money, I might try something radical like that. You could build a fat 351W stroker w/roller cam, Fuel injection and nice heads for that kind of money and have a motor that bolts in and will put out gobbs of power and torque.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
You can make the engine fit, it's just a question of how much work do you want to do to make it. The 5.4 is 1-3" wider than a 460 (single vs. dual cams), I think the length is similar.

I'd also consider going with the earlier electronics to control it, otherwise you're looking at a lot of other things to do running the OBD II EECs.
Joe

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
There's a guy over in a Ranger forum that put a 4.6 in his. 8) If it will fit in a Ranger it will fit in a Bronco. Just a matter of time and $$

OP
OP
edge4

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
So I gather from the posts that I could obtain more hp and torque, for less money, just by hopping up what I already have.
I read that 460 block is just too much weight and too many mods.
So I guess a stroked 351 would be the best bang for the buck?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Stroked EFI 351w would be about the best you can fit under a budget and time (if doing it yourself!!)

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
a better option would be a 5.4 truck motor(99-up)with a Kenne Bell twin screw charger. The lightning has a roots-type blower, and requires more HP to run it. You can pick up a truck motor for under a grand, and the KB kit is just over 2 grand. After it is all said and done, you will make about 40 more HP than the lightning, and have a couple grand left to spend trying to shoehorn the sucker in.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#109577 date=1045951105]
a better option would be a 5.4 truck motor(99-up)with a Kenne Bell twin screw charger. The lightning has a roots-type blower, and requires more HP to run it. You can pick up a truck motor for under a grand, and the KB kit is just over 2 grand. After it is all said and done, you will make about 40 more HP than the lightning, and have a couple grand left to spend trying to shoehorn the sucker in.
[/quote]You could put a SC on a 351 and be way ahead of yourself. I have owned the new modular engines and I just flat out aint impressed! 8)

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110302 date=1046214614]
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#109577 date=1045951105]
[/quote]You could put a SC on a 351 and be way ahead of yourself. I have owned the new modular engines and I just flat out aint impressed! 8)
[/quote]
well, if you take a 351, build it CORRECTLY($2000 for the average joe off the street)and then add the blower($3000 new) and top it off with a quality blower carb($750), you have $6000 worth of 3 mile-per-gallon iron that will need a freshen-up every 10K miles. Where the mod motor will make 500 HP(at the flywheel) and last 10 times as long. Just think, in 20 years kids will be drooling on themselves for mod motors just like we drool over old iron. For pure nostalgia, I agree. But for something that will start every time you hit the switch, and last that long, give me the new technology.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110306 date=1046215449]
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110302 date=1046214614]
[/quote]
well, if you take a 351, build it CORRECTLY($2000 for the average joe off the street)and then add the blower($3000 new) and top it off with a quality blower carb($750), you have $6000 worth of 3 mile-per-gallon iron that will need a freshen-up every 10K miles. Where the mod motor will make 500 HP(at the flywheel) and last 10 times as long. Just think, in 20 years kids will be drooling on themselves for mod motors just like we drool over old iron. For pure nostalgia, I agree. But for something that will start every time you hit the switch, and last that long, give me the new technology.
[/quote]Take your 5.4L Go muddding,change the spark plugs,and then get back to me on what you think about new tecknology. ;D

OP
OP
edge4

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Whoa Guys!
I think that the cool factor of a 5.4 lightning modular is great, but from all the posts, I think that Joe Lougee made the best points. One, it's wider than a 460, so it will take alot of custom work to fit. Two, the modern OBD II has a lot of extra electronics. Three, looking at the Ford Racing site, a brand new 351 crate motor with the GT40 top should give you 425 to 460hp, with no emissions gear and reliable daily performance. That is all I need for an EB.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110324 date=1046220507]
WTF does mudding and spark plugs have to do with a lightning crate motor or 5.4 anyway?
[/quote]My point is that even things that look good on paper are not always good! I had a 4.6L in a F150. When it had about 60,000 miles on it it needed new plugs. It took me 9 hours to change them because the dust from my dirt road had filled the cavity's where the plugs are. No amount of compressed air or no amount of vacuming or power washing would remove it! I'm sure that some dirt got in the engine from just doing a tune up! You can have your new tecnology engine! :eek:

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
Thanks, bronco "god" I think I will take my new technology. I simply think that innovation is a good thing. If we resist the temptation to try new things simply because someone (or some bronco "god") says it can't be done, then by God it'll never be done. I would love to try a 5.4 project if I had a spare bronc lying around, I think it would be a learning experience. Not to mention that someday, these motors will literally be a dime a dozen, whereas the old iron will just continue to get more expensive.

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
Technology development is fine if it increases the useful life or function, or operating range, without creating complexity. How about disc-brake pads or clutch plates that never wear, a bullet proof U-joint, serpentine belt, etc..
Adding electronic sensors and computer brains with enough wires and hoses to cover the engine is not advancement of technology in my book. I see slogans "the same technology as an Air Force fighter". The Air Force has a crew of people to work on the plane and its complex systems.
I'd rather be Fred Flintstone.

boatbldr

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Well, at the risk of starting a flame war, I'll jump into the fray. I've owned a L for 3+ years now and I know first hand the fun and power of these trucks.
I guess my question is what would be the purpose of a 5.4SC swap? Are you gonna take a bronco to the stip and clock ET's? Are you gonna run a circle
track or road course? If so, go nuts. But for wheeling, you don't need all that HP and torque, What do you go... 3-4 mph? Of course, people will do all kinds of things to their vehicles,
so if you're adventurous and have an unlimited amount of time, money, and expertise to keep replacing all the other things that motor
will tear up on your bronco (transmission, rear end, drive shafts, springs, shackles and so on) have at it.
I would reccomend spending some time on the L message board over at f150online.com to get a little more appreciation for the power
of those engines. Have fun.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=15#110463 date=1046266019]
Thanks, bronco "god" I think I will take my new technology. I simply think that innovation is a good thing. If we resist the temptation to try new things simply because someone (or some bronco "god") says it can't be done, then by God it'll never be done. I would love to try a 5.4 project if I had a spare bronc lying around, I think it would be a learning experience. Not to mention that someday, these motors will literally be a dime a dozen, whereas the old iron will just continue to get more expensive.
[/quote]I NEVER said it couldn't be done! You could put a Bronco on the moon if ya had enough money. I just think the 351 is a better engine for a Bronco. From what I understand most Ford dealers wont overhaul a modular engine because the tolerances are soo tight they wont last. They just replace them. I also agree more electronics dont make a beter engine. To each their own. Go for it! ;D

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
agreed, electronics and gadgets don't make for a better package, or for that matter a longer lasting one. I simply get aggravated when some of the long time posters here jump on the opportunity to tell somebody that they are full of it because this or that can't be done. I worked as a mechanic for 12 years, and have been doing things the hard way all my life. But, I will champion anyones cause if it means innovation or learning a new way of getting something done, even if that way is wrong. Why, if everyone had the same attitude that some on this board have, we'd never even have seen a bronc. We'd still be riding horses. Rulebreaker, I appreciate and value your knowledge. Please don't think this is personal. We are all here to keep the breed alive and prove that those heeps will never rule, no matter how many gadgets or gizmos they pile on.