• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.4 Lightning Crate Motor

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=15#110598 date=1046300735]
agreed, electronics and gadgets don't make for a better package, or for that matter a longer lasting one. I simply get aggravated when some of the long time posters here jump on the opportunity to tell somebody that they are full of it because this or that can't be done. I worked as a mechanic for 12 years, and have been doing things the hard way all my life. But, I will champion anyones cause if it means innovation or learning a new way of getting something done, even if that way is wrong. Why, if everyone had the same attitude that some on this board have, we'd never even have seen a bronc. We'd still be riding horses. Rulebreaker, I appreciate and value your knowledge. Please don't think this is personal. We are all here to keep the breed alive and prove that those heeps will never rule, no matter how many gadgets or gizmos they pile on.
[/quote]Have you seen the new F150 for 04? They boxed the frame and beefed up the off road package and went to a 5.4L 24 valve that makes 300 horses!Finally an engine that can stand its own against Dodge and Chevy! I dont get excited about the lightning cuz its 2WD but this 4x4 is looking good! ;D

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I agree, it's about time they caught up with the pack. I guess I will have to save my pennies so that I can get one of those. Sounds great.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
You could be completely original and build a 351W-Hemi with 4 valves per cylinder. That would be so sick. Advertised Horsepower for a street 408 motor with a .530ish lift and duration between 230-245 is 650 HP! And that is streetable and naturally aspirated! Since it has 2 smaller valves instead of one large valve it keeps low end torque and high-end HP. Forget the 5.4SC

32 Valve 351 Windsor Hemi Heads

Only drawback is cost...but it's still cheaper than a crate 5.4SC.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110345 date=1046228041]
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110324 date=1046220507]
WTF does mudding and spark plugs have to do with a lightning crate motor or 5.4 anyway?
[/quote]My point is that even things that look good on paper are not always good! I had a 4.6L in a F150. When it had about 60,000 miles on it it needed new plugs. It took me 9 hours to change them because the dust from my dirt road had filled the cavity's where the plugs are. No amount of compressed air or no amount of vacuming or power washing would remove it! I'm sure that some dirt got in the engine from just doing a tune up! You can have your new tecnology engine! :eek:
[/quote]

For an engine that is going to get dirty, I will pick the older technology every time. Who would want to dump a load of sand on top of a piston while changing spark plugs? Did you ever see what that $hit does to cylinder walls, rings & pistons? The older stuff is less complicated and easier to do field repairs on too. For a practicality standpoint I'm with rulebreaker on this one. BH

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=BwoncoHowie link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=15#111102 date=1046408880]
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110345 date=1046228041]
[quote author=Explore74 link=board=5;threadid=14466;start=0#110324 date=1046220507]
WTF does mudding and spark plugs have to do with a lightning crate motor or 5.4 anyway?
[/quote]My point is that even things that look good on paper are not always good! I had a 4.6L in a F150. When it had about 60,000 miles on it it needed new plugs. It took me 9 hours to change them because the dust from my dirt road had filled the cavity's where the plugs are. No amount of compressed air or no amount of vacuming or power washing would remove it! I'm sure that some dirt got in the engine from just doing a tune up! You can have your new tecnology engine! :eek:
[/quote]

For an engine that is going to get dirty, I will pick the older technology every time. Who would want to dump a load of sand on top of a piston while changing spark plugs? Did you ever see what that $hit does to cylinder walls, rings & pistons? The older stuff is less complicated and easier to do field repairs on too. For a practicality standpoint I'm with rulebreaker on this one. BH
[/quote]
I guess it takes all kinds, in all environments, with different budgets, of different ages, anda, anda, anda. That just proves the point I was trying to make, thanks Howie.