• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

50 oz imbalance 351W(393)...Need Suggestions

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I picked up my 393 short block Friday. The guy at the machine shop gave me my "balance card" and it listed that I had to use a 50 oz balancer and flex plate. He didn't realize that this created a pulley problem for me, and after seeing my frustration, gave me a balancer and flex plate. The balancer he gave me is a 4 bolt, which in my research will not work with my stock pulleys. I did some searching today and found that Wildhorses sells a balancer that has all the different timing mark locations that Ford used, can be 28 or 50 oz, and can accept the 3 or 4 bolt crank pulley. I sent them a email asking about it. I am thinking this may be what I need.

Has anybody else delt with this issue? What are my options?

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would call B & R automotive in Stockton, CA. They are top notch engine builders and can give you the correct answer. The fellows at WH cannot answer this question. You can use 28 oz but the rotatong assy will need to be balanced for that. Good Luck. BI

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bronco italiano said:
I would call B & R automotive in Stockton, CA. They are top notch engine builders and can give you the correct answer. The fellows at WH cannot answer this question. You can use 28 oz but the rotatong assy will need to be balanced for that. Good Luck. BI

Sorry, I need to clear up my question. The engine has been balanced for a 50 oz balancer and flex plate. (I have to use a 50 oz balancer, even though it's a 351W) All the 50 oz balancers I have seen are are 4 bolt. All the information I have read in the past on switching to a 351W tell you to use a 3 bolt balancer. What are my options now that I have to use a 4 bolt balancer to get my pulleys lined up? My thinking is what ever you have to do with a newer model 5.0 should work for me.?????

That's was my question to Wildhorses, will the balancer they sell let me use all my stock pulleys.

Was wondering what my other options are??????

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
AS I recall -- ALL 351 motors are a 28oz ballance The only 50 oz ballance motors are the 5.0 mustang style motors. Check this out to make sure you get the right harmonic ballancer and flex plate.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The WH damper will work for you as it accepts either 3 or 4 bolt pulleys and can be changed from 28-50 in oz. I'm not real comfortable with that setup of bolt on weights as the centrifical forces will always be trying to throw it off but I guess it works just make sure you use loc tite on the bolts holding the weight on.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
sounds like something very funky has been done to your motor. It is true that all 351W's are 28 oz so the only reason I can think of that they are telling you 50oz is if they did some kind of custom balance job. I would double check that since 28oz balance is a piece of cake in your case and 50oz creates all kinds of problems for you.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I have hear of a few people with custom ballancing.You can look up Damper Dudes in CA. The can do a custom one for you.
Here's their number.
Damper Dudes
6180 Parallel Dr.
Anderson, CA 96007
1-800-413-2673

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replys. From what I been told today it's not uncommon for a stroker to be balanced 50 oz. Although nobody said it made it better. The Wildhorses balancer will work for my application. I am also going to call Damper Dudes as you guys have suggested and see what I can get from the.