• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6 cyl to v8 radiator swap

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
My old radiator bolted on each side with two screws. Changing to a v8 setup, do I have to weld in radiator mounts or what? TIA

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You need the four mounts that weld to the core support. The six cylinder radiator has bolt holes to mount it. The V8 radiator has no such holes.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I guess I was lucky the ‘72 that went from I-6 to V-8. I left the 6 cylinder radiator in place and never had any issues with overheating. I guess ignorance is bliss. Lol

Randy

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I guess I was lucky the ‘72 that went from I-6 to V-8. I left the 6 cylinder radiator in place and never had any issues with overheating. I guess ignorance is bliss. Lol

Randy

Radiator hoses are completely different. How's you manage to pull that off with a V8 engine and 6-cyl radiator?

cps.986

I am also looking for the location to weld the brackets to the core support. Did you end up finding a source?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Someone can supply you with the measurements for the original, but the best bet would be to match whatever Radiator you choose to install. Line up the mounts with their intended bosses on the top and bottom of rad and mark the core support accordingly.
Doing it this way eliminates any problems with modern parts not matching the originals.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Using the original locations has not been much of a problem with stock replacement radiators, but once you go into larger, aluminum, or total custom radiators all bets are off.

armynavy17

Contributor
Using the original locations has not been much of a problem with stock replacement radiators, but once you go into larger, aluminum, or total custom radiators all bets are off.
Not to mention, as you say all the time, "YOUR bronco WILL probably vary". When in doubt, ditch the tape measure and just do a mock up...

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Radiator hoses are completely different. How's you manage to pull that off with a V8 engine and 6-cyl radiator?
The guy that built the engine and did the swap for me was a great builder of drag racers and did some kind of hard lines to adapt the hoses to the tank. It’s been 20 years since I’ve had that one and am kind of working off of memory. I never thought to take photos of the build.

Randy