• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 air cleaner

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm thinking people said this oil bath filter thing is for the birds, and just put one of a zillion mustang/falcon air cleaners laying around on their bronco lol :)

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
Okie, I think you are exactly right. Plus Ford may have discontinued supporting the oil bath filter and all catalogs afterwards would supersede with the paper filter?

Lance, Does your 1975 book show both filters?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Little hard to see, Scott has better pics probably. PO put a giant parade horn on my inner fender, so it has to come off before the oil bath does. Didn't have the heart the remove the horn lol.

20160424_205124_zpswvl8wdpz.jpg

20160424_205424_zps6nolrud4.jpg

fordrowcrop

Loc.
Greencastle, IN
Okie, I think you are exactly right. Plus Ford may have discontinued supporting the oil bath filter and all catalogs afterwards would supersede with the paper filter?

Lance, Does your 1975 book show both filters?

Yes it shows both wet and dry air cleaners available for the 1966 Bronco with either a 170 or 289. The illustration shows the dry air cleaner only fitting a Model year 1966 Bronco with a 6cyl. and also fit a 1965-67 Mustang, Falcon and Fairlane with a 6cyl. Part number C3DZ-9600-C in the US and C6DF-9600-F in Canada.
Dry type V-8 Part Number C6TZ-9600-V fits 66-69.

In 1975 all 3 air cleaners were still available and had not been superseded.

Last edited:

colby45

I have an original '66 Bronco shop manual and it mentions both types of air filter assemblies, dry and oil bath.

T-Bird

Loc.
East TN
Okie, my 66 has the paper filter type, that looks like the ones pictured, but also has the bracket mounted on the engine block by the coil, but not the vertical upright. I think over the years people just changed out to the paper type.
I was able to pick up the oil bath set up at SC, and will be installing it. I think they look cool on an old bronco.

colby45

I have the original oil bath on my Bronco. They are really cool, but they can be a mess sometimes. I have seen a few people convert them to accept a dry-type filter inside the oil bath housing so you still get that classic look without the mess, which is kinda cool.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I can see where the bottom of my oil bath had been brazed a couple of times to repair pin holes. Wonder why the leak issues? You wouldn't think that oiled steel would rust through.

norm02

I'm almost positive that all '66 Broncos came with an oil bath filter. Below are pictures of what mine looks like and the mounting bracket both of which are the original parts. While I have heard that this type of air cleaner is the best for severe duty use, I may keep mine but install a different one.

The wire element inside mine is still nasty after almost two cans of carb cleaner. If I can get it clean enough, then I'll re-install it. Additionally, I think that its fairly difficult to find other options that will clear the factory hood.

Attachments

• Oil bath air cleaner bracket for Bronco.jpg
    Oil bath air cleaner bracket for Bronco.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Oil bath air cleaner housing.JPG
    Oil bath air cleaner housing.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 33
  • Intake tube from carb to air cleaner housing.JPG
    Intake tube from carb to air cleaner housing.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 34

colby45

It is really hard to find aftermarket setups that clear the hood. Classic Inlines used to sell an adapter that would allow adaptation of a standard 2V-4V air cleaner or carb hat which apparently worked great, but the owner passed away unfortunately.

norm02

I have the original oil bath on my Bronco. They are really cool, but they can be a mess sometimes. I have seen a few people convert them to accept a dry-type filter inside the oil bath housing so you still get that classic look without the mess, which is kinda cool.

Does anyone know the correct size paper filter to use for the conversion?