• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Bronco project

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Mine does not have the original valve cover like yours does, I'd like to find one though. If anyone has one send me a pM thanks

Jeff

That's not an original cover if you're referring to the Powered by Ford script. It still a gold top coil in place on it though :)

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
That's not an original cover if you're referring to the Powered by Ford script. It still a gold top coil in place on it though :)

It says Power By Ford, which I thought was only on the older ones...EB's didn't have that?

chuckyb

Contributor
Sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome to the best source of knowledge and good luck with your project!

crab

Bronco Guru
The body sure looks good in the pics. Hard to tell on my iPhone but looks like an older re-paint. How do he floor pans look? Peek under the driver and passenger floors where they bend up. If they are not rotted there, that's a good sign. Not the end of the world if they are. The door pillars are probably your main concern. Can't wait to see it cleaned up!

bmbm

Engine pic

I think all of the parts are there. The carb is in the back of the vehicle and lots of parts around. I will most likely pull the engine and rebuild it myself. Although I would love to re-do it with mods I think I will have a hard time not keeping it original since it looks like everything but the wheels are original.
Looks good under the hood.

bmbm

Engine pic

I think all of the parts are there. The carb is in the back of the vehicle and lots of parts around. I will most likely pull the engine and rebuild it myself. Although I would love to re-do it with mods I think I will have a hard time not keeping it original since it looks like everything but the wheels are original.
Engine pic

You can get a cam and other performance mods are available that will look stock. Pertronix ignition is one.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Engine pic

Amazing how ‘rust-less’ the engine bay appears. Must have spent mos of its life in a semi dry environment. Looks good.

Randy

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
You can get a cam and other performance mods are available that will look stock. Pertronix ignition is one.
I looked at Pertronix but it does not seem that have one for the 170 engine. I sent them an e-mail asking about it. Thanks

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
Here are some photos. I had the radiator checked and it is good, fuel tank is good but the sending unit is bad. New carb will be here tomorrow although I did take apart the old one and clean it. After further inspection I think it has a new engine in it, or rebuilt. Reason I say that is it turned over when I put a wrench on the crankshaft without any effort whatsoever, the top of the Pistons are silver and look clean the spark plugs, although had some rust on the threads from sitting or brand new and has never been ran. The engine blue paint looks to be pretty good shape, and there is blue overspray on the oil filter. The oil is clear, so I am thinking my father-in-law put in a rebuilt engine or rebuild that engine and just never finished it. People in 1966 must've been smaller than today because it is pretty tight up there behind the steering wheel. We're gonna have to do something as far as dates go because my son is 6 foot five and 6 foot one with kind of a stomach and it's just not gonna work. Our first goal is to just try and get it started before going to far into it. I am going to replace the fuel lines, carb, plugs, oil and filter, smack a new battery in it and see what happens. By the way all the dust on it is from being in my shop sitting for quite a few years gathering dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_6783.JPG
    IMG_6783.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6842.JPG
    IMG_6842.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6841.JPG
    IMG_6841.JPG
    230.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6839.JPG
    IMG_6839.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6838.JPG
    IMG_6838.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6837 2.JPG
    IMG_6837 2.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6784.JPG
    IMG_6784.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6785.JPG
    IMG_6785.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6787.JPG
    IMG_6787.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6796.JPG
    IMG_6796.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6798.JPG
    IMG_6798.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6819.JPG
    IMG_6819.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 38

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Not sure where you are getting the carb from, the 66 was pretty much a 1 year carb that you don't want to turn in for a core.

66 carbs have 3 check balls. I only see one in your picture, did I miss the others? Really easy to lose one if you didn't know. You will never get it to run properly with less. Don't panic if you lost a ball. Even 2100 series carbs check balls will work. I believe it's Michaels Carburetor that has parts and a good video. Even replacement bowl vent rods. It's the plastic looking rod on the top of the carb.

You can use a 4 prong module from a GM hei distributor with a heat sink and proper grease for a ignition upgrade. The points will be the trigger and last much much much longer. Wiring directions are on this site. If you choose to go that way and can't find it let me know, I can try to find it for you.

Manual steering gear vehicles used a larger wheel for leverage to turn. I will say my old 66 turned easily when stopped.

Should be a fun project and even funnier to drive.

bmbm

Here are some photos. I had the radiator checked and it is good, fuel tank is good but the sending unit is bad. New carb will be here tomorrow although I did take apart the old one and clean it. After further inspection I think it has a new engine in it, or rebuilt. Reason I say that is it turned over when I put a wrench on the crankshaft without any effort whatsoever, the top of the Pistons are silver and look clean the spark plugs, although had some rust on the threads from sitting or brand new and has never been ran. The engine blue paint looks to be pretty good shape, and there is blue overspray on the oil filter. The oil is clear, so I am thinking my father-in-law put in a rebuilt engine or rebuild that engine and just never finished it. People in 1966 must've been smaller than today because it is pretty tight up there behind the steering wheel. We're gonna have to do something as far as dates go because my son is 6 foot five and 6 foot one with kind of a stomach and it's just not gonna work. Our first goal is to just try and get it started before going to far into it. I am going to replace the fuel lines, carb, plugs, oil and filter, smack a new battery in it and see what happens. By the way all the dust on it is from being in my shop sitting for quite a few years gathering dirt.
That may have the load o matic carb and distributor designed to work together. If these are both in good condition they work ok but was definitely not one of Fords better ideas. You could change to DSII but it won't look stock under the hood so Pertronix or similar will work, Moving away from points is good.

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
Not sure where you are getting the carb from, the 66 was pretty much a 1 year carb that you don't want to turn in for a core.

66 carbs have 3 check balls. I only see one in your picture, did I miss the others? Really easy to lose one if you didn't know. You will never get it to run properly with less. Don't panic if you lost a ball. Even 2100 series carbs check balls will work. I believe it's Michaels Carburetor that has parts and a good video. Even replacement bowl vent rods. It's the plastic looking rod on the top of the carb.

You can use a 4 prong module from a GM hei distributor with a heat sink and proper grease for a ignition upgrade. The points will be the trigger and last much much much longer. Wiring directions are on this site. If you choose to go that way and can't find it let me know, I can try to find it for you.

Manual steering gear vehicles used a larger wheel for leverage to turn. I will say my old 66 turned easily when stopped.

Should be a fun project and even funnier to drive.
I bought a new carb from Amazon know that I would need to take it apart and check it out. However upon first look the linkage is backwards. Maybe I have to reverse it I am not sure or maybe it is just not compatible. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6891 2.JPG
    IMG_6891 2.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6892 2.JPG
    IMG_6892 2.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6893 2.JPG
    IMG_6893 2.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 15

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I bought a new carb from Amazon know that I would need to take it apart and check it out. However upon first look the linkage is backwards. Maybe I have to reverse it I am not sure or maybe it is just not compatible. Thoughts?

The Chinese are really good at duplicating American items, sort of. Depending on how well the specs are written and if they have a inhouse QC person will depend on the outcome. Clearly that carb missed the mark. If they have the linkage wrong who knows what else?? This will be your choice on how to proceed. For me, unless there is something majorly wrong with the old carb i would put a $30 kit and new float in it. You have already had it a part. Overall it is a pretty simple carb. In the future there is no need to take everything little thing off that doesn't have a passage way or gasket. Example, the mounting for the air cleaner.

Let us know what you decide and if you need any help.

I see you started another thread on the carb. Generally it's best to use the original thread which makes it much easier to track conversations and progress. Your threads, so your choice.

OP
OP
armypilot_uh60

armypilot_uh60

Contributor
Just discovered something which really confuses me now. I just discovered that the carburetor I have for this vehicle doesn't even fit in the holes don't lineup it's too small. I inherited this bronco after my father-in-law died, and it's been sitting in my garage for quite a few years. I am in the garage somebody brought it in to have it repaired and they never came back and got it. This was in 1995. I just assume the carburetor in the box in the back of the vehicle was the one that went on the engine but evidently it's not now I've got to try to find out what is going on because the one that was in the box is an Autolite 1100 type carburetor. Another strange thing is the bolt holes for the carburetor are angled. Most of the pictures I've seen online of other peoples engines the bolt holes are not angled. Might have to make my way to the Ford dealer to find out what actually came on this vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_6900.JPG
    IMG_6900.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6901.JPG
    IMG_6901.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6902.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 12

bmbm

Just discovered something which really confuses me now. I just discovered that the carburetor I have for this vehicle doesn't even fit in the holes don't lineup it's too small. I inherited this bronco after my father-in-law died, and it's been sitting in my garage for quite a few years. I am in the garage somebody brought it in to have it repaired and they never came back and got it. This was in 1995. I just assume the carburetor in the box in the back of the vehicle was the one that went on the engine but evidently it's not now I've got to try to find out what is going on because the one that was in the box is an Autolite 1100 type carburetor. Another strange thing is the bolt holes for the carburetor are angled. Most of the pictures I've seen online of other peoples engines the bolt holes are not angled. Might have to make my way to the Ford dealer to find out what actually came on this vehicle.
Many knowledgeable people on fordsix.com, a good forum for the 144-250 owner. If you check the block and head casting codes you could tell if a later 200 was swapped in which happens often. My 66 Bronco block was original but had a later head. The later head was changed as far as the carb mounting but I don't recall the details. fordsix.com tech forum here: https://fordsix.com/ci/Tech.html