• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

IA 66 Half Cab - Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

overton

Loc.
Johnston, IA
I'm really new to Bronco values. Looking at a bone stock minty 66 Half cab with <30,000 miles and the guy wants $14,900

In the ball park or no? ?:?

rockg

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
My advice to you is to list more about the truck and maybe include a picture. Bone stock means uncut?? Get some more info and post up in the Tech Forum.

OP
OP
O

overton

Loc.
Johnston, IA
My advice to you is to list more about the truck and maybe include a picture. Bone stock means uncut?? Get some more info and post up in the Tech Forum.

The truck is a 66 and that is really all I know at this point other than what we can glean from the pictures. I'm having a mechanic look it over but he' not a Bronco expert. Just looking for info on what is and is not correct for this year. It may be a pig with lipstick or it may be a treasure.

Any comments are welcome.

Pics Here - http://www.fototime.com/users/gregoverton@mchsi.com/1966 Bronco Half Cab

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't see anything glaringly wrong with it from either a body (i.e. rust) standpoint or missing/incorrect items since it's a '66. It looks like it might have had a coating of black point on the undercarriage in the not too-distant past so pay attention to any sins it may be hiding.

Price - based on how prices (or at least asking prices) seem to rising lately, and if it's what it's purported to be, it's probably not far off the mark. I'm sure there will be other opinions on that though.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I think it looks as if it's in the right ball park. As stated above, the only thing that stands out is that the texture of the black paint looks rough, like it's been sprayed over surface rust on the frame. Just needs an American Flag sticking up out of the back, and it's parade ready.:) Have you seen the VIN?

OP
OP
O

overton

Loc.
Johnston, IA
I don't have the VIN yet. Does the upholstery, dash pad, color scheme appear to be stock or original to those of you who know? I can see the bed has been Line-X or some bed liner. I'm also not sure of the half cab is desirable among the Bronco fans vs. a truck with a back seat.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yes, paint color (likely Rangoon Red) appears to be correct as does the dash pad and the pattern on the bench seat upholstery. Two things I noticed in looking at it again - in the shot that shows the underside of the pass side floorboard - there appears to be a patch/something not original at the crease/bend in the floorboard. Also, in the one front shot it almost looks like the front bumper has a curved end on it, but that might be an optical illusion.

Todd Z.

bigpitbull

BRONCO ADDICT
Loc.
Saltillo, MS
I agree with the above statement about the bumper.. It looks to be a solid little halfcab. I own a 66 u14 and from the pics everything looks to be in place. as far as price I would agree that as of lately they have been rising. I will say that 14k is not crazy high for a nice little halfcab.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
The bumpers are not correct nor the mirrors . Blacked out engine compartment ... typical hack cover-up as if you look close theres red overspray on the washer hoses etc . Frame/undercarriage appears like a black cover up of salt corrosion ... deep pitted metal .... BE CAREFUL !

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
The bumpers are not correct nor the mirrors . Blacked out engine compartment ... typical hack cover-up as if you look close theres red overspray on the washer hoses etc . Frame/undercarriage appears like a black cover up of salt corrosion ... deep pitted metal .... BE CAREFUL !

Steve does restorations FYI. Listen to him!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have a bronco expert look it over, as said, I can see rust coming through some of that black undercoating, if so, it's a hack paint job to hide a world of hurt.

Essentially, it's not bone stock, it's been repainted and from the looks not very well.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ia Halfcap

I do agree with everyone here and their opinions. Good eyes! The stock halfcabs are somewhat rare in my eyes. You just don't see many at all! In fact, seems to be less "survivors" noted than the roadsters at times. More were produced over a longer period but seems to less in numbers for original stature.

I own a '66 halfer and it's located very close to you near Norwalk. You are welcomed to come take a look and I can show you what to watch for, especially on the '66 goody list. For the most part it does look very nice though. I am concerned about the "black" undercarriage and the heavy build. The bed liner too. The passenger floor as mentioned by Todd, does look as if the pan has a blow out and been patched. With that said, I am sure the driver's side is equal or may even be worse. Most driver's side pans usually fair worse being the primary side for driving.

Anyways, here is what else I see and my opinions. The washer bag is non-bronco. Should be blue and a little more rectangular. Yes the exterior mirrors and bumpers are not correct. They belong on a later '67 through '77. Tailgate handle should not be painted - I believe originally galvanize plated or some plating near that look as with the hood loop. The radiator is correct with the offset spout. The hard vac line and fuel line look to be distorted and one missing. A huge plus is the floor mat under the throw in mats. With any luck, it is most likely a '66 mat, worse case a later mat, but any original bronco surviving floor mat is a huge find. The pencil dash pad is correct for '66, especially with the beaded edge at the bottom. The '67's had no bead. And the seat vinyl looks to be original or correctly done!! '66 tailgate is there and the bronco appears to be an early one with the round transfer case shift knob. That means possibly an eyebrow grill and the Budd body.

Overall, I would say this is a nice rig. Even though it has some flaws, looks to be about 85% correct and original outside of the new paint and undercarriage black. Hubcaps, the horn ring and low mileage are huge pluses as well! It has alot of the exclusive '66 parts that I would otherwise say "good luck" in the treasure hunt!

As for price, I thought of it this way. If someone offered me the same listed price, I would say "no". In my eyes, I think mine is worth more to really get me interested in selling. I would shoot for the moon and offer in the $11-12k range and go from there. Sure you may dicker back and forth, but if and when you come to an agreement, both parties would feel they come out feeling they did good.

If it's local, I can surely check it out with you. If Minnesota, like on the plates, depends on how far.

Contact me via pm if you'd like. tim

Attachments

• IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 138.jpg
    Picture 138.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 65

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I do agree with everyone here and their opinions. Good eyes! The stock halfcabs are somewhat rare in my eyes. You just don't see many at all! In fact, seems to be less "survivors" noted than the roadsters at times. More were produced over a longer period but seems to less in numbers for original stature.

I own a '66 halfer and it's located very close to you near Norwalk. You are welcomed to come take a look and I can show you what to watch for, especially on the '66 goody list. For the most part it does look very nice though. I am concerned about the "black" undercarriage and the heavy build. The bed liner too. The passenger floor as mentioned by Todd, does look as if the pan has a blow out and been patched. With that said, I am sure the driver's side is equal or may even be worse. Most driver's side pans usually fair worse being the primary side for driving.

Anyways, here is what else I see and my opinions. The washer bag is non-bronco. Should be blue and a little more rectangular. Yes the exterior mirrors and bumpers are not correct. They belong on a later '67 through '77. Tailgate handle should not be painted - I believe originally galvanize plated or some plating near that look as with the hood loop. The radiator is correct with the offset spout. The hard vac line and fuel line look to be distorted and one missing. A huge plus is the floor mat under the throw in mats. With any luck, it is most likely a '66 mat, worse case a later mat, but any original bronco surviving floor mat is a huge find. The pencil dash pad is correct for '66, especially with the beaded edge at the bottom. The '67's had no bead. And the seat vinyl looks to be original or correctly done!! '66 tailgate is there and the bronco appears to be an early one with the round transfer case shift knob. That means possibly an eyebrow grill and the Budd body.

Overall, I would say this is a nice rig. Even though it has some flaws, looks to be about 85% correct and original outside of the new paint and undercarriage black. Hubcaps, the horn ring and low mileage are huge pluses as well! It has alot of the exclusive '66 parts that I would otherwise say "good luck" in the treasure hunt!

As for price, I thought of it this way. If someone offered me the same listed price, I would say "no". In my eyes, I think mine is worth more to really get me interested in selling. I would shoot for the moon and offer in the $11-12k range and go from there. Sure you may dicker back and forth, but if and when you come to an agreement, both parties would feel they come out feeling they did good.

If it's local, I can surely check it out with you. If Minnesota, like on the plates, depends on how far.

Contact me via pm if you'd like. tim

Hey Tim! Wow, that little Springtime Yellow '66 is beautiful!!!!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I would say it's not worth the $15K asking price, probably half of that in reality. This is a quick flip, spray and pray nobody really looks it over deal. Typical of the morons on TV that buy a POS and 'restore' a car in 4 days and sell them for big profits.... They've convinced many people that you can buy and build a car for cheap and that it will be done right for cheap! A true restoration takes months if not years to complete!

Big flags to me are the undercarriage that's literally been spray bombed to cover up anything and everything, black engine compartments raise this concern as well. I like that they sprayed the axle but not the drum brakes, which tells me they didn't even bother to remove the wheels when they 'restored' this rig with black spray paint...

If you buy it, Yes it looks nice, but be prepaired to have to address and fix all of the typical issues a 46 year old truck has, because I seriously doubt many, if any at all were fixed.

OP
OP
O

overton

Loc.
Johnston, IA
66 Half Cab

Is it advertised as restored?

It's advertised as original and 24K miles but I've been in the FJ40 Land Cruiser world for years and this is not my first rodeo. When it come to Bronco's however, I don't know the details on what it's supposed to look like. Evidently, the engine bay should be the same color as the exterior and it's been blacked out which is not optimal. I have the same concerns about the goo on the frame. It looks like a cover up. I know that any truck that is sitting at a dealership is going to be a mystery. If there was any history on the truck, it's gone. It's been repainted for sure and they have no provenance on the miles so they can whatever they want. It does have a lot going for it and it appears to be a nice (not perfect) but nice truck. It's all about the price at this point. I do know some Dodge dealership had it and thought it would sell better at Ford dealership so they did some kind of trade. I had hoped someone on the forum would know the truck and I could get some history.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I see it is a September 1965, second month production truck. Can't make out that color code though. Can anyone tell me the letter above the paint code?

Status
Not open for further replies.