• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 bronco heater and defrost don't blow

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you hear the fan blowing? If so, are you sure the damper door is fully opening?
If so, you might have to dig in a little bit and make sure there isn't something blocking the flow of air. Over the years a lot of crap can build up on the passenger side of the core. And I've even seen stuff stuffed up into the driver's side of the plenum (like rags and rat's nests n stuff) so anything could be the culprit.
If you've already done that, then maybe the squirrel cage (fan) is spinning on the shaft. This would let the motor spin, but not put out much air.

How long have you owned the Bronco? Has it worked before and just stopped, or has it never worked? Or is this the first time you've tried even?

Also, maybe the defrost duct door is closed? They don't blow very hard out the top, so if it's open to Defrost then maybe you're getting air, but it's just not going where you expect.

Good luck.
Oh, and even though you've already discovered the trick, we might as well bring up the old "Pull For Heat" issue that vexes so many new owners every year about this time. ;D
Hmm, is that the cable you're pulling? I figured I'd ask, in case you're pulling the defroster door and not the Pull-For-Heat door.
Just checkin...

Paul

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
All the above. Bronco's heater fans are a little weak. After checking all the above and you still need more air movement. A popular upgrade is to swap out the motor and fan to one out of a 70's chev truck. Very noticable change. Many threads on here about how .

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

First time trying heater! New to me bronco! My 61 ford blows air like crazy this just makes noise ,sounds like it's blowing air.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Where is the air inlet at?

Right side cowl vent.

Not to argue with anyone over a heater fan conversion, I have to say that my stock fan/heater box will cook me out in the seat in the dead of a Maine winter.

Are you rotating the "pull for heat" knob to set the fan speed at either high or low? If you are setting the fan speed and still not getting air for floor heat look elsewhere. Pull the defroster knob out. Does air blow out of the defroster vent? If you have little to no air moving anywhere you're gonna want to pull the heater box and remove the obstruction and most likely the skeletons of the former residents.

Hope this helps,
Roger

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I'm bad to cover the vents under the hood ib the summer time for various reasons and forget to remove the passengers side first cool spell and fan hardly blows from lack of needing to pull in air .

zonian

Loc.
St. Augustine
Check the right side cowl vent heater hose, found last year mine was rotted away, replaced and all was good!

70_Steve

Old Guy
69 bronco heater and defrost don't blow
It sucks that your heater doesn't blow!!!:cool:

Sorry, I had to say that. You know y'all were thinking it!

There is a flexable duct that goes between the heater assembly and the passenger's side kick panel. Remove that duct and clean out any accumulated stuff. While the duct is off, turn on the heater fan and see if you get air flow. It could also be that some of the "accumulated stuff" is clogging your heater core. You can see it by looking in the heater assembly duct opening.

OP
OP
Mtgrizzlymn

Mtgrizzlymn

I did the chev heater mod my god it works great well worth the 33 bucks it cost for motor and fan