• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

69 bronco starter problems

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
my 69 sat for 12 years, working on it lately installed nv4500 adv-adpt kit new clutch was running now starter is binding if i shim it out with washers 1/4 inch it will engage whats going on ??

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What type of binding are you experiencing? When you did the new clutch, did you by any chance change the flywheel too? There are two different tooth-counts to look for. I think they're 154 and 168 or so.
Along those same lines, did you replace the starter too? Manual and Automatic use different starters and I"ve received the wrong one before.

Yes, shimming can make a difference, but with Fords you should rarely run into that issue. Especially from just replacing a clutch on a setup where the starter and the flywheel are the same and worked well before.

Good luck. Hopefully someone has an answer for you.

Paul

ps: Ooops! Forgot to say welcome to ClassicBroncos!

OP
OP
C

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
its the same flywheel that came in it just resurfaced, someone had told me about crankshaft float ??........ its the original engine with only 75000 miles my dad bought it new in 69. ony thing done was heads, when they stopped leaded fuel.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hard to think of anything that might have changed with just the change of a clutch. But someone should come up with something.
Never heard the term "float" with a crank, but if he meant fore and aft travel, there's a few thousandths acceptable movement and Ford engines usually stay that way for their whole life. The one thing that will wear out the thrust bearing surface however is riding the clutch. If you and your dad spent much time with the clutch pedal pushed down, waiting at lights and such, then you could have put excess wear on the thrust surface.
And that's usually in the forward direction, so not sure if that would allow the clutch/flywheel to bind on the starter, or not.

Can you describe the binding? Is it just a sound? Or is the starter actually stopping when it's trying to spin? Have you checked your battery and connections for good contact? Lots of things can deteriorate in 12 years.

Paul

OP
OP
C

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
theres only 40 miles since i installed the nv4500 new clutch etc , the starter will just click (without shims)when cranked... but (shimmed out) it will spin and engage but that cant be a fix at least not a good one. and thats the same starter that was in it before. it has been tested ...thanks

OP
OP
C

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
still have problems

The starter i borrowed seemed to work but got things together and same thing you hear it and click come out , but no spin. Im so close but so far.., any advice or mechanic s want to take a crack at it let me know ive tried everthing i know.. Hey pedestrian ill make you a windshield if you can fix this... only problem im 30 miles from you... i may have to change my name to chuck the windshield guy...

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I'm tied up this week, but might be able to swing by next weekend to have a look. I'll call you.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It you have the same flywheel, bellhousing and starter it should work. Replace the starter. If the bellhousing is different it may require a different starter.

OP
OP
C

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
Problem solved !!!

Wanted to let you know, pulled starter out saw an area on top where the casting had some marks dremeled them smooth it fit right back in started cranking over . it looked flat against back plate form bottom but after that... it got a bolt rotation and a half deeper ... now in need some exhaust work.. shorty headers exiting out the bottom a little LOUD ........ :) :) :) :) :)