• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6cyl. EB's

Badseed

Loc.
Yuma
Just wondering if the EB's ever came with the 300 6cyl?
If they did...is there anyone on the board who has a really built up 6?
I've had a 71 with a 302 and it was great which is why i'm looking again, just wondering if anyone has some badass 6cyl engine in their EB. Maybe if you do you could share some pics of it to give me some ideas!

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Search is your friend. It has been covered.
Highlights;
No the 300 was never installed in a Bronco at the factory. The 240 and 300 are the bigblock straight 6. They can be forced to fit, just take a big shoehorn to do so.
There have been a few built 6s around. One even sporting a turbo. These are a bit of an oddity around here.

OP
OP
B

Badseed

Loc.
Yuma
thanks boss i'll check it out in search, probably not much that hasnt been covered i imagine! haha

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
Like Broncobowsher said, use the search feature. Click on "search", select "advanced search", type 300, select "seach titles only", select "66-77 Ford Bronco" under the search in forums box and you'll get about 5 good threads.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
The 170 and 200 were the 6 cyl. in our Broncos. There are a few of us hard core 6 bangers on the board. I searched for a long time to find one with a 6 cyl. befor I baught mine. I like the simplicity and they are much cheaper to work on.(sorta). I have a well built 200 in mine with a 2V carb and a duraspark 2 dizzy. When it runs it runs very good. On a desk top dyno my 200 has 12 less HP than a stock 302. With 4.56 gears it does everything I want it to do but run 75mph on the interstate. I top out at about 60mph.

SteveMa74

Contributor
same for me on the "topping out at 60mph" thing....

what kind of tranny are you running? manual 3spd? or something else. would a four speed with overdrive improve top end speeds or is there another way to do that? sounds like horsepower is not the answer....although I do plan to upgrade my carb, etc. soon.

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
I have a three on the tree. I think an NV3550 with overdrive would be the ticket. On the tire/grear calculator I use the overdrive would put me at 75 mph at something like 2500rpm. Still a little high but much better than the 3200rpm it takes me now.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
There are a couple of documented 300 builds over on Broncofix...but a search here will probably get you a link to the Bfix thread better than a search on Bfix. The search engine here is much, much better. Welcome to the community.