• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6cyl/np435 swap done-THANX 4 THE HELP!

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Removing the old 3-speed tomorrow. Made room for the 435-did a 2" body lift last week.I have an adapter,new clutch,435 all the 6-cyl parts I could need.

Will I still have to trim the end of the 435 out put shaft with the adapter? Is there any reason to seperate the intermediate housing and transfer case-if not I would just like to not have to open that can of worms yet%) I know the v8's can keep the same location for the crossmember, but what about the 6cyl's? Will the drive shafts need to be lengthened and shortend? Will all of the bell housing parts I have for the stock 6cyl/3 speed work on this 435?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think we are starting this tomorrow and dont want any hidden supprises. Thanks,Chuck

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Keep in mind I havent done this swap on a 6 cyl but theres little differance betwen the 6 and 8 the only real differance is the lenght of the adapter the V-8 adapter is longer than the 6 cyl.
Your going to have to test fit the tranny to the tcase to find out if the output shaft needs to be trimmed or not some do some dont. Theres no reason that I know of to remove the adapter from the tcase although it is a good time to replace the bearing and seal in the adapter. Its not that bad to remove it just have to make sure the roller bearings dont fall in the case. As for the crossmember I beleive it will need to be relocated slightly probably the width of the adapter your using. you may be able to slot the holes in the crossmember and brackets more to fit. I would think your driveshafts may be fine but you will have to check them as the t case should only move back the width of the new adapter. Yes the 435 bolts to the 6 cyl belhousing just fine. It should be a fairly smooth swap but with any swap plan on something popping up.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
they told us we'd have to have the driveshafts worked on ...but we just swapped the yokes from the front to the back this was the 2 inches we needed
it's worked for about 4 years now ...rest of the 6cyl swap was rather easy ...now my v8 and no lift was extreamly hard took me a month to get finoshed ....

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Ok, just walked in from the garage...all day. The swap went well. I tried the shifter on the 435 before we put everything together and everything worked very smooth. Now after everything is installed...I thought I'd run though the gears-just to check. Shifter wont do anything now. Seems like it's in neutral. The clutch is hooked up ok and adjusted. I can start to push the pedal in and the out-put shaft will turn freely-let off and its locked to the motor.?:? I even switched shifters(had 2) Why would it work great by it's self(with nothing attached)? I still haven't moved my cross member brackets yet...the c-member is just resting on top of the brackets, which are in their original spots.Which brings up another issue...

Just how does everyone move the brackets? Do you just move them back and weld the brackets to the frame? Do ya drill all new holes? Looks like it's almost 2" they need to move. Not enough to just slot the holes.

Oh yeah...I dont think there is any gear lube in the tranny. Could that be the reason for the shifting problems? What kind of lube should I use? Also...we are not trying to run the bronco yet, just trying to go though the gears...Sorry for being so long. Just trying to give all the info, thanks for the help so far...Chuck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You might not have had the shift rails in neutral when the shifter was installed so now it is not in the slot that enables you to move the shift rails. remove the shifter again and look inside you might need a long screw driver to move the rails back to the center position. The NP435 uses 50W engine oil just like the t case although some people use regular 75/140W gear oil with no problems.
I would drill new holes for the crossmember brackets if you weld them you'll be cussing yourself next time you need to drop the tranny

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
All is well now. I took the advice and used a long center punch and fixed it in less than 5 mins. I remember I put the shifter in for a second to select 2nd gear then removed it, so I could turn the output and line up with the clutch. When I put it back in nothing was lined up correctly. I just popped 2nd down to neutral and reinstalled the shifter and ..............all is well in bronco land;D !Thanks for all of your help,Chuck

Now for fixing the crossmember and swapping the yokes on the fr & rear drive shafts?:?