• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

6R80 Neutral Safety Switch - Coyote Build Help

hummerdan

Looking for some help with installing a neutral safety switch on a 6R80 coyote build. Is this hard wired? Pics or references would be great. TIA

Spaggyroe

On my build, I used the Ford coyote control pack. If you also use the starting circuit from the Ford control pack, the neutral safety is built in. The computer knows the gear that the trans is in and prevents starting when in gear.

I can't speak for other control packs though.

OP
OP
H

hummerdan

On my build, I used the Ford coyote control pack. If you also use the starting circuit from the Ford control pack, the neutral safety is built in. The computer knows the gear that the trans is in and prevents starting when in gear.

I am using the Ford control pack so I should be fine. Was getting conflicting info saying I needed a NSS. I see the starter lead cable (labeled N) on the control pack that goes to the starter.

Additionally, did you remove any leads from the control pack?

Thank you

Spaggyroe

I am using the Ford control pack so I should be fine. Was getting conflicting info saying I needed a NSS. I see the starter lead cable (labeled N) on the control pack that goes to the starter.

Additionally, did you remove any leads from the control pack?

Thank you

Yeah, I didn't use the AC Clutch and AC pressure switch wires, I didn't use the Clutch Top and Clutch Bottom wires, I didn't use the wires for a supercharger intercooler pump. There were also 2 leads in there (+ and -) for the HS CAN bus that I wasn't going to use either. I just access the CAN through the OBD2 connector.

It looks intimidating at first, but it's really pretty easy. The amount of wires that you'll have to actually connect to is pretty minimal. Everything else just plugs in.

OP
OP
H

hummerdan

Yeah, I didn't use the AC Clutch and AC pressure switch wires, I didn't use the Clutch Top and Clutch Bottom wires, I didn't use the wires for a supercharger intercooler pump. There were also 2 leads in there (+ and -) for the HS CAN bus that I wasn't going to use either. I just access the CAN through the OBD2 connector.

It looks intimidating at first, but it's really pretty easy. The amount of wires that you'll have to actually connect to is pretty minimal. Everything else just plugs in.

This has been super helpful. Last question. Did you omit the wires that you didn't use from the control pack? Thank you

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I installed by distribution box on the firewall next to the heater core lines. I dont have inner fenders so make more room. The ECU is mounted up top where the air inlet box usually is.

Great info to know about the NSS in the harness. I did not hook that up for the starter circuit but will do that now.

Spaggyroe

Where are you guys installing the power distribution box?

Mine was a pain, and I'm not sure that I'd recommend it... I wanted my wiring to be as hidden as possible, so my power distribution box is mounted on the passenger kick panel beneath the dash. This required me to modify my fresh air inlet box, which I should have deleted entirely... but that's a different story... My computer is mounted on the inner fender apron next to the battery (make sure to run a sealed battery if you mount your computer there). My wiring runs inside the upper portion of the passenger fender. I used the BC Bronco's fender shields to further hide everything and give the wiring another layer of protection.

tripleJs15

What Gen coyote were you running? I heard that's only built-in on the Gen 1's but could be have been told wrong.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
My Coyote is a Gen II and I use the control pack to start it. The Neutral safety switch does work with the 6R80 and Gen II.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
It reads it internal to the transmission. No additional switch is needed. The control pack has all the wiring in it to read it from the trans.

Spaggyroe

It reads it internal to the transmission. No additional switch is needed. The control pack has all the wiring in it to read it from the trans.

@tripleJs15
My experience is the same at rcmbronc's.

Gen 2 coyote, 6R80 trans, Ford control pack.
Neutral safety switch is integral to the transmission, and as long as you're using the control pack for your starting circuit, it works.

Reverse lights however are a different story.
I ended up fabbing a bracket that bolts to the drivers side of the trans, to hold a roller tipped switch, that interfaces with a little cam lobe that I added to the shift selector rod.
A bit of a P.I.T.A., but I got it working. Maybe there's an easier way. The transmission itself would definitely be sending the reverse light signal over the CAN bus, but I did not know how to interface with that so I went old school and added a mechanical switch.

tripleJs15

@tripleJs15
My experience is the same at rcmbronc's.

Gen 2 coyote, 6R80 trans, Ford control pack.
Neutral safety switch is integral to the transmission, and as long as you're using the control pack for your starting circuit, it works.

Reverse lights however are a different story.
I ended up fabbing a bracket that bolts to the drivers side of the trans, to hold a roller tipped switch, that interfaces with a little cam lobe that I added to the shift selector rod.
A bit of a P.I.T.A., but I got it working. Maybe there's an easier way. The transmission itself would definitely be sending the reverse light signal over the CAN bus, but I did not know how to interface with that so I went old school and added a mechanical switch.

Do you have a pic of the bracket or link to the switch etc used?