• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

71 Heater Box defrost flap question. come on fellas

Classy K

I've read a gillion threads but nobody has mentioned it...

Are there factory style rivets I can get to replace the ones I obviously must drill out to rebuild/ recover with foam, the defrost flap in the heater box on a 71?

What do you folks use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Classy K

aint nobody put the new seal kit in know if I gotta cut these rivets off to gain access and where to get replacement rivets??

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
aint nobody put the new seal kit in know if I gotta cut these rivets off to gain access and where to get replacement rivets??
Did a rebuild recently. Pretty sure you are cutting those rivets to get to what you want. Easy fix is get some self tapping screws or simple sheet metal screws that are slightly larger and just replace them.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I don't remember cutting any rivets when I rebuilt my 1974 heater box. just have to remove the cables and fire wall nuts and remove the ducting. then pull the box and separate it all with the spring clips removed. i used either a kit from Toms or Wild horses. get a new heater core while your at it, use 3M Super 90 spray adhesive to hold the foam at higher temperatures. I did the Chevy fan upgrade while I was in there. I also used the plastic replacement water valve which worked so much better then the factory brass type. it was pretty straight forward but had no instructions so you need to keep your mind straight while dissembling it.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I used SS button head bolts with nyloc nuts for the rivets I drilled out. Upgraded to SS sheet metal screws as well...

Attachments

• DSCN3897.JPG
    DSCN3897.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
C

Classy K

unfortunately for this late 70 early 71 the vent side is factory rivited. So I drilled them out and used 12x screws with washers loctite and nut to put it back together, the whole job was about 35 minutes including a nice blasting and red oxide primer to the insides of the backing plate. The factory rivets are about 3/16" diameter so sheet metal srews are or would have ben of no use in this instance.

PDQ

Contributor
Similar to 904bronco...for me I used black button head allen head screws and nylocks from the local Ace Hardware. Clean and can't see it from normal views anyway.