• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'72 Bronco project (Cypress, Tx)

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Just taking a break, I need to go to NAPA and buy the tool for the upper ball joint, and ball joints. However, I noticed the ball joints are installed versa-visa regarding the snap-rings. Would that make a difference? The pre-load of the existing ball joints isn't bad, not rough, smooth, about 16-18lbs of pull on my fish scale.

Forgot to mention, with Gary turning the steering wheel , about 1 1/2" of slop, and with the engine running, seems less. Going to see what new ball joints do, but not expecting much improvement, but will have new ball joints;)

Attachments

• Ball jointsb.jpg
    Ball jointsb.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 26
  • Ball jointsa.jpg
    Ball jointsa.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Ball joints.jpg
    Ball joints.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 29
  • ball jointsc.jpg
    ball jointsc.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 28

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
However, I noticed the ball joints are installed versa-visa regarding the snap-rings. Would that make a difference?
Not sure what you're referring to regarding the snap-rings.
Sometimes they don't have them, sometimes they do. Usually the lower joints have them installed and the uppers are missing due to the casting not having been machined quite enough to allow the rings to be included.
But it could go either way.
The pre-load of the existing ball joints isn't bad, not rough, smooth, about 16-18lbs of pull on my fish scale.
that's perfect!
I'd leave them alone unless your testing determined that they were worn out and floppy.
Did you do the steering test with the tires on the ground to put pressures against things? If not then you don't really know if they're bad or not. Unless here again you can do the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock tug-o-war on the tire and see/feel the slop.
Otherwise they're in good shape.
Forgot to mention, with Gary turning the steering wheel , about 1 1/2" of slop, and with the engine running, seems less. Going to see what new ball joints do, but not expecting much improvement, but will have new ball joints;)
The lessening of play in the gearbox is normal. The fluid pressure is building up inside and putting pressure on things. Effectively tightening up tolerances so to speak.
But changing ball-joints (especially perfectly good ones) should not reduce slop in the gearbox. Nor will it shorten the play of the steering wheel. Here again, unless the old ones are so floppy and worn out that they're imparting movement into a different plane.

You CAN'T use the steering wheel play (if that's what you were talking about?) as an indicator of worn out components after the steering box. The play you see at the wheel "might" be entirely inside the gearbox itself. Hence the test where you visually watch every component on the front end while the helper turns the wheel back and forth.

For this test you don't even need the engine running. It's easier done that way, but not necessary. You're not looking for movement at the steering wheel in that case, you're looking for movement that should not be there everywhere else.
If during that test the knuckles are not moving in any directly but spinning directly on the ball-joints, then the joints are fine.
This test will point out broken wheels, cracked frames, worn tie-rod ends and ball joints, loose wheel bearings, loose and/or wobbled out trackbar upper bolts, loose or broken welds on the lower trackbar bolt, and literally just about any other problem that might exist in the suspension and steering systems.

Totally worth the two minutes it takes to perform it.
Well, except in your case the fact you'd have to put the wheels back on first to get there.
And it might just help you avoid putting inferior products on your Bronco in the form of poorly manufactured, or fully defective ball-joints and sleeves.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and whatever you do, check the new ball-joints first. If they're loose and floppy, return them post haste.
If they're nice and tight like a ball-joint/rod end should be, then ok fine... ;) :D

Paul

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Well darn, I actually can't find anything really wrong with them, but I'll re-test as you mentioned, no big deal to put the wheels back on to do a re-test. The visa-versa, just thought the lower ball joints had the snap rings but you explained that and I understand. But in my case, the lower ball joints do have the grease zerks, but not the uppers. Again, back to testing! lol

While looking through the forum, I came across taskers picture in the new bronco's. I notice his wheels seemed to be more tucked under his Bronco, whereas mine are rather out further. Could this be a problem having my wheels out further? Hope I'm not sounding desperate! lol

Attachments

• tasker bronco tires.jpg
    tasker bronco tires.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Bronco pics .jpg
    Bronco pics .jpg
    242 KB · Views: 25

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, it's a "problem" only if you don't like the results! :unsure: ;):rolleyes:
But yes, that has an effect. I think we discussed it earlier in the thread (just before fender trimming I think), in a roundabout way, about the effect tires can have.
Where tires have a big effect on suspension and steering and handling. And bigger tires have an even bigger effect on those things. And bigger tires put on wider wheels, or wheels with more "negative offset" or with "less backspacing" that basically put the tires further outward from stock, make it all the biggest effect of all.
That's a lot of leverage out at the end of the axles already. Pushing them further out gives them even more leverage.
So if something goes wrong with a tire or suspension component for whatever reason, the effect up at the steering wheel is more noticeable.

And these same characteristics also effect if, and if so by how much, your tires rub different parts of the truck. Whether the body or suspension components, depends not only on the tire's overall size, but it's positioning within the wheel wells. Which is basically dictated by the wheel specifications.

Paul

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
There's no doubt I like the way it looks right now, it's pretty awesome! I guess I should just enjoy it for what it is~ it's not a modern day suv with exact steering ;) I'll perform some other checks tomorrow, but put it back together, actually good practice. It felt good doing something~ getting kind of bored around here.

Actually I have been looking at other projects, but not another Bronco even though I love my Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Notice too how "flat" Tasker's wheels look compared to your more "deep dish" look? That's due to the combination of wheel width AND backspacing.
You can have two wheels of identical styles and widths (let's say 9" slot mags for the moment) and have them look completely different if one has 2" of backspacing and the other has 5" of backspacing.
The one with less backspacing looks deeper than the one with more backspacing even though it's the same width. That deeper look comes at the expense of the wheels and tires being further outboard of the pivot points.
Hence some Broncos with 12.50 wide tires having them more tucked in, or more stuck out than other Broncos with the same 12.50 wide tire.

If you didn't know, backspacing and offset are two different ways of describing the same thing. Basically how far the "rim" sits in relation to the hub, or center, or flange of the wheel.
They're measured differently, and are not always 100% consistent with each other (depending on other wheel aspects) but are ways of determining if a wheel is going to be compatible with a particular vehicle.
Backspacing is how many inches in back of the wheel mounting surface (hub/center) the rim bead is located. As measured inside the lip of the curve.
Offset is the distance between the theoretical centerline of the wheel, to the wheel's hub mounting surface.
Measured in milimeters at (I believe?) from the wheel mounting surface to the outside lip of the bead. That part I'm a little fuzzy on though.

I'm a dinosaur so still like to use backspacing not because it's better, or a newer/older way of measuring fitment and look, but because it's easier to wrap my head around. Especially when compared to what I know about wheels fitting or not fitting on Broncos. And whether the fenders are cut or uncut, or using original steering components or swapped in, or what year Bronco.
Using offset will get me there, but it takes more brain power that I don't like to fire up if I don't have to.

Paul

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Dne’ taskers looks more tucked due to narrower wheels. If I remember correctly he’s running a 7” wide wheel, yours appear to be 10” wide. His Dick cepek tires are a little narrower than your toyos too.

If his are 7” and back spacing is the same it will be 6” narrower over all, the tires would also move inboard 1-1/2” per side.

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Paul, you can really write, you must be a teacher of sorts! ;) I still use the "backspacing" term, makes sense to me also!!

Tasker responded to my personal message, he's running "7.5s old school slots on 33x12.50x15s".

Yeller, I see or visualize what you mean by 6" narrower, so it's almost like I'd like in between what I have an what tasker has! lol I don't want to tilt over curvy roads either!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In the old off-road world we used narrower wheels on wider tires to keep the tires on the wheel even with low air pressure and to protect the rim edge from rocks and tree stumps and such.
Of course, we also used them because narrower was more common back then too!
But the benefits of the tighter grip the tire had on the wheel were worth it.

Paul

OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
I'm still at it;) Bought the rear ABS plastic panels and got them mostly installed. I had all but remove the roll bar, a pain, but not that bad. I hope to get it back on the road soon~ I'll clean it up and re-install the back seat~ now I just need some roll bar foam;)

Attachments

• Bed trima.jpg
    Bed trima.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 50
  • bed trim.jpg
    bed trim.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
Dne007

Dne007

Contributor
Wow, thank you for thinking about me El Kabong;) I have been so busy on my next project, a '63 Dodge Dart, I hadn't even given the Bronco much thought other than waiting for cool weather to take it places.

However, I was having a problem with starting the Bronco, I was blaming it on fuel draining back, or choke not working, but wound up being there was still trash in the 23 gallon aftermarket gas tank, despite my attempt in cleaning it out. I have a new gas tank(13 gallon) from Wildhorses in the garage, a carburetor kit, etc waiting for me to get to it.
We were going to take it to its first car show when it started sputtering~ barely made it home.
dne' ;)

this pic was a couple weeks ago, we have a large baseball park, like next door, it's like a mini-adventure going over there, then took a glamour shot;)
url=https://postimg.cc/c687VDRR]
Bronco-picture.jpg
[/url]

Weather has just started getting nice and should be back to "full time" play;) I was looking for a challenging project, then found this poor Dart;)

Last edited:

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Wow, thank you for thinking about me El Kabong;) I have been so busy on my next project, a '63 Dodge Dart, I hadn't even given the Bronco much thought other than waiting for cool weather to take it places.

However, I was having a problem with starting the Bronco, I was blaming it on fuel draining back, or choke not working, but wound up being there was still trash in the 23 gallon aftermarket gas tank, despite my attempt in cleaning it out. I have a new gas tank(13 gallon) from Wildhorses in the garage, a carburetor kit, etc waiting for me to get to it.
We were going to take it to its first car show when it started sputtering~ barely made it home.
dne' ;)

this pic was a couple weeks ago, we have a large baseball park, like next door, it's like a mini-adventure going over there, then took a glamour shot;)
url=https://postimg.cc/c687VDRR]
Bronco-picture.jpg
[/url]

Weather has just started getting nice and should be back to "full time" play;) I was looking for a challenging project, then found this poor Dart;)

Good to see things are going well. Bronco looks sharp! Don't hesitate to post pics on your other projects. It'd be fun to see what you do with that Dart.

Btw, my dad had a 64 Valiant slant six. It ran forever. He had a rebuilt spare engine for it, but never needed it. It was his DD for awhile, then it became that extra car that always ran. As teenagers we all borrowed it. Dad eventually gave it to a grandaughter. She & her hubby have restored it & take it to car shows now.

We talked awhile back about your commercial sewing machine. Thanks again for the heads up. I've been looking for one ever since, & found one recently. Details are here: https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...-a-place-to-retire.314502/page-6#post-3514037 Thinking about the sewing machine reminded me that we hadn't heard from you in awhile.

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Good to hear from you Dne!

I post most of my projects in Off Topic since they are not bronco related. Please post away😊

Here’s one of my larger threads in that section

New to Me Ride

Your builds are always fun to follow

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, great to hear from you again! Only took you two months!
Great picture, and merry Christmas to you two (three) too.