• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

73 302 and 89 Mustang 5.0 Fuel Injection Donor / will this work?

Splash

I have a recently rebuilt 73 302 and want to install the full EFI system off a 1989 Mustang 5.0. I searched but did not find the answer. Has anyone done this or does anyone know if the parts from the 89 will work on the 73 long block?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I did it on my 77.
After you get the intake EFI parts and computer all you need is o2 sensor mounts befor the exhaust collectors, Mustang valve covers, and an 87 Crown Victoria distributor.
If your engine is out, you may want to change cams to get the correct fireing order but it is not a must have.
I dont know what cam you should run but i wish i had changed mine when the engine was out.
I also recomend getting one of the aftermarked wire kits.

I went without the EGR stuff but you can run it if you want to.

Shoot me a PM if you need help.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes it should bolt up. Pay attention to the intake gaskets, use the newer mustang ones... You want to avoid coolant and vacuum leaks.

I do not want to speak for anyone else, but this question has been posed before... I do not want to minimum your needs, but there is just not one manual that is available out there to make the conversion.

And there is alot of info out there from others that have been there and done that. You need to do your research, buy a manual or two, and understand how everything (EFI) works. How to by-pass unwanted smog equipment, if that is what you want... Unless you use all brand new parts, there always seems to be some type of troubleshooting that needs to be done.

On one of Ryans websites, he has the articles that were in Bronco Driver on doing a EFI conversion, maybe that is the direction you were being pointed....

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I would also take a look at BC bronco's web site, Chuck has posted a pretty thorough layout of parts(mustang/explorer)its under the fuel link -i wish i read it before i wasted 91 dollars on a 87 stock mustang EFI setupmod engine, stock manifold waste's my engines potential....

OP
OP
S

Splash

Thanks! I do appreciate the leads and will give it a go. I assumed it could be done but was concerned as the engine was so old. It is amazing to me that Ford did not change the basic engine more in 20 years. Good for me!