• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'73 Bronco Stalls Out: Gas Leak? (pics)

incogneato

Loc.
South Bay
Howdy fellas,

Having some trouble with a pretty consistent stalling issue.

Just bought my truck, came with a recently-replaced battery.

When it stalled out originally, it would need a jump to turn over.

Then it would stall again after about ten or 15 minutes.

Thought it was the alternator - turned out it was dead. I replaced it.

Jumped it again, let it run to charge; sputtered out, stalled after 10 minutes.

I noticed this time there was a pretty considerable trickle of gas leaking.

Looks like it's dripping out from near the oil filter? It does sort of idle somewhat low, slowly but surely winds down and sputters out.

See (mediocre) pictures attached. What do you think it could be?

XmvMmUl.jpg

8q3hPYE.jpg

ZjJv7AL.jpg

clf9cB2.jpg

QMxgABY.jpg

AX1fB9z.jpg

1Jtg1og.jpg

XhSJdhB.jpg

ayOv5Qx.jpg

XgY7PIc.jpg

qY88bgT.jpg

4nVbSPO.jpg

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
If you have killed the battery a number of times (new or not) each time will become more difficult for it to recover.

First fully clean and inspect your cables (even if they look ok). Next, check, tighten or replace your fuel lines in and out of the pump. Also check the pumps mounting bolts to the block. Replace fuel filter. If still a problem check fuel pressure and or replace pump.

Engine should turnover fairly quickly. If not check battery voltage without it running. If it's at or below 12 volts it's toast.

Open-circuit voltage=Approximate charge
12.60 V =100%
12.35 V =75%
12.10 V =50%
11.95 V =25%
11.70 V =0%

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That is the fuel pump. It looks like the rubber hose coming from the tank is all swollen and deteriorated from PS fluid dripping on it. Replace that hose with fuel rated hose, fix the PS leak and see if that cures the fuel leak. There's a small chance the fuel pump itself could be leaking.

broncoradio

I had a similar thing happen to me last summer in regards to the vehicle shutting off, at first I thought it was the alternator, bought a new one installed it, the same thing happen took out the new alternator thinking was a lemon brought it down to NAPA to have it tested both the new and old one were fine, the voltage regulator was shot and the guy at the parts counter informed me that the older fords had a tendency of being hard on them. Second I'd buy a few feet of rubber gas line and change out the lines from the pump to the hard line and the hard line to the tank over time these lines get brittle, small cracks form and eventually leak. On my bronco I replaced all of my hard fuel lines with coated steel line and small section of rubber line to connect to the tank and pump and it seems to work fine.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Id suggest replacing the fuel pump anyways. in the pics where it appears wet Id say its leaking. You may want to check your oil see if its real thin or smells of gas that would indicate that the pump is also leaking into the crankcase. If so change the pump and your oil and oil filter as the gas in the oil could cause a fire in your engine.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Looks like the fuel pump is leaking from the vent hole. It's on the back side of the top; not visible in the pictures. These pumps are cheap and only last a few years, so a new one is a good idea. The power steering pump looks like it's leaking from the the shaft seal. The rebuild kit is also cheap and includes all the seals and O-rings. I just did both jobs on my Bronco along with new fuel hoses and low pressure hoses on the power steering. It took care of all the leaks I know of.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I personally like the carter P4070 much better than any of the holley pumps. There cheaper as well. I can even get them at NAPA.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
That Carter Naz is referring to is long lasting as well. Some fellers here have ran them for years. Don't forget to get a fuel pump access hole block off plate. They are real cheap.