• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'73 fuel-line PLUMBING PROBLEM- (that 6 way valve)

OP
OP

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
WeLLLLLLLL... :)<br><br>I F I N A L L Y got it fixed! Last week I had gone out and bout tons of stuff from <br><br>Advanced... Fuel Line clamps- some new line, hoseclamps....(and all sorts of <br><br>other new car goodies) and so yesterday I finally had my buddies help push me <br><br>out of the drive way and down the hill to the garage ( doing the fuel line work <br><br>outdoors- I thought I might have to drain the tanks.. but the garage is all clean <br><br>and ready.)<br><br>So- first thing- i get under there and clamp off two lines that had been swapped- <br><br>it's a lonnng story but when I 1st had fuel draining out of the charcoal cannister, <br><br>the seller told me that if ANYTHING was wrong, that it could only be thest two <br><br>lines from the main tank that he might have put in backwards.. Well they were <br><br>NOT in backwards- the fuel to the charc can was caused by an insidious <br><br>disappearing and reappearing problem... <br><br>first of all- there was a kinked hose running from the rear of truck forward - I <br><br>believe that this caused the initial pressure build-up that pushed fuel out of the <br><br>charcoal cannister.<br><br>though ... before i found that, i had heard the owner and switched the main tank <br><br>sending line, with the main tank return line...<br><br>so-first I switch the lines- and the truck still runs<br><br>then I took off the charc. can. and plugged the vent hose- <br><br>( this sends fuel into the evap ( or mixing can) in wall behind drivers door..<br><br>next I relieved some pressure by finding the kink and eradicating it. ( kink <br><br>caused by having 8" of hose where only 4 was needed.. during these above <br><br>steps- the truck ran fine- though the pressure did send the fuel everywhere and it <br><br>was dripping perilously near the flowmaster duel exhaust..<br><br>at this point I have read a bunch ( and owe many thanks to all who answered my <br><br>plea) and understand MUCH better how the emissions & fuel systems work... so <br><br>i go ahead and unplug the vent line to the charc. can.- though I have yet to rehang <br><br>it .. I still see some small drops of fuel at the end of that vent line- so i'll see if <br><br>that's cleared up..<br><br>can anybody tell me of the two metal lines coming out of the main tank ( from the <br><br>center of the sending unit) which is which? One is thin and one is thicker metal <br><br>line...<br><br>that brings me up to yesterday- when I found the real culprit- the one that had <br><br>actually stopped the car from STARTING in the end.. OK- so when ( in the middle of all of this leaky line stuff,) the truck stopped running completely- it was caused by an incideous phantom.<br><br>.... the parking brake... <br><br>see- when the 6 way valve bit the dust- and the seller put in the 4 way- he had to run some of the lines somewhere other than the valve. so there are 4 lines to the back of the valve- though there is another that runs to a "t" and that is the one that- when smushed by the P brake- simply folded in half and then NO gas went to the engine. I don't always use the parking brake, so when I did, that line got crimped - and the car wouldnt start at all. Problem disappears and reappears.. S'enough to drive ya bats- eh?<br><br>Whew! FINALLY! What a relief.<br><br>OK- so here are my questions:<br><br>on each tank , there are two metal lines coming out of the sending unit.. one is fat and one is thinner- so- which is which, huh?<br><br>one is the feed line and one the return line- but which is which? (the carb sends back fuel that it doesn't use- right?)<br><br>that means the back of the truck is routed thusly: <br><br>the two lines coming off of the main tank's sending unit- (feed and return)<br><br>as well as one line ( somewhere- h'aint seen it yet:) coming off of the passenger side of the main tank and running to the charcoal canister.<br><br>so that brings us up to three of six.. <br><br>the other two lines coming off of the aux. tank's sending unit- (feed and return) and the other MUST be a vent line from the aux tank....( I have yet to dig this one up, either)<br><br>So this week I need to order the lock rings and gaskets for each tank- ( at this point I have a slow leak at the bottom lip of the aux tank- that's it) and install those- replace the ball float in the main tank & see if the lock and gasket solve the aux tank drips..<br><br>:)Thanks again to all, for all of your help:)<br><br>....on each tank , there are two metal lines coming out of the sending unit.. one is fat and one is thinner- so- which is which, huh?<br>Ash

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
You got me swinging.....on my '76 I only have 1 line comming out of the sending units (main,aux). But if I had to wage a guess I would have to say that the larger is for return. I base this assumption on the fact that on my tanks there is a larger "port" (not fill or vent).